Another North London Cub owner

Are you new to the forum? Please come in here and introduce yourself, please don't forget to check out the rules as well!
Caddy
Rides:: C90, XS400, Honda XL125 , Norton ES2, Honda Superdream, Suzuki Savage

Another North London Cub owner

Post by Caddy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Hello, my name's Caddy and I've been lurking on the forum for a while and thought it was only polite to post an intro.

I'm a displaced Yorkshireman living in North London (Crouch End) and I'm a bit of a bike nut and have 7 bikes in various states of repair. To be truthful I like tinkering with them more than I get around to riding them. I'm not really a fan of leaving bikes stock, I like to get hold of something a bit tatty and customise them into something a bit different. I just need to concentrate and actually finish some of them, lol :roll:

I've recently been helping some friends with their Puch Maxi's and been building one in my bedroom out of their spare bits for a bit of fun this summer. But, I've never been able to escape the fact that it will struggle to drag my 6' 2" (and...er...athletic build :D) over Crouch Hill where I live. Following a conversation with one of the Puch owners about the lack of grunt in the 50cc Puch motors we both revealed we were secret Honda Cub fans and why were we messing around with Austrian strokers when we could be playing with Japan's finest? One week later I'm the owners of a 1989 Honda C90 that had been made into a field bike but has t&t and runs ok.

Initially I was influenced by the ECC style bikes and I was going to make some kind of low beach cruiser style bike, all flake paint and bright chrome like below...

But, the more Cubs I look at on the internet I'm coming to the realisation that what I like most is the classic cub shape, leg shield and all. While looking through the Chalopy blog I came across this blog http://www.suedcrew.blogspot.co.uk/ and loved the trad but customised look they have going with their bikes.

So this is the direction I'm going in...

Simplified handlebars, wider rear wheel (maybe different swingarm) and possibly one of the Lifan engines. A simple clean look if possible.

Shit, this is an essay not an intro :oops: Hope to be able to join in with forum as I get to know these bikes better and and thanks for any help you all may provide.

Cheers

Caddy ;)

sinbad72
Rides:: Honda C70 C (Blue)

Re: Another North London Cub owner

Post by sinbad72 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi and welcome. I like the sued crew's style too but cant bring myself to change my bike from original as its in such good condition and a quite sought after model. (C70C) However if I came across a suitable bike I'd go for the style below. :D

Check out my blog where I collect all my favourite stuff on the net http://stepthrunutireland.blogspot.ie/

Caddy

Post by Caddy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:31 am

Sinbad

Thanks for the welcome and I've already got your blog bookmarked ;)

I'm liking that example you posted too, I guess I'm on the look out for a suitable frame...

Caddy

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:18 am

Hello Caddy. I'm just down the road from you in Finsbury Park. (Just around the corner from the Faltering Fullback)

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Caddy. Lovely place Yorkshire, I can understand why you say 'displaced'.

Welcome to the club :D

It's amazing the amount of work you give yourself when you go non-standard! I'm sure you know this but it's worth a mention ....... do you weld stuff?

Caddy

Post by Caddy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Pjam, I have like minded friends (and friends of friends...) who love customising motorcycles and who have workshop facilities so we can weld, braze, lathes, electrics, leatherwork, painting etc that covers most situations that might arise with me tinkering with a cub. If not, unlike most Yorkshiremen ;) I'm not adverse to paying somebody to do a bit of machining or fabrication if required. Hopefully if that's necessary I can put some work towards any members on here.

My biggest problem Pjam is normally me. I get so enthusiastic about what I'm doing I have loads of ideas and start buying parts, then change my mind and buy more parts, then change again etc, etc... This time I'm trying to research it bit more first, plan out what I'm trying to achieve in terms of looks and performance and how I'm going to use the bike and buy less stuff. It remains to be seen how successful I will be :roll:

If anybody on the forum in the London area ever needs an enthusiastic (if not that skilled :D ) helper I would rather mess around with motorbikes than sit a home and watch crap on TV. I'm building a motorbike in my bedroom (the second and I live in a 2nd floor flat) and have another 3 in my garage. I think I need some professional help from the men in white coats... :lol:

Caddy

Sorry Leiba, thanks for the welcome, I know the Fullback well :D