C90 trip from Denmark to Vladivostok (and back) 2024

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Gavepapir
Rides:: C90

C90 trip from Denmark to Vladivostok (and back) 2024

Post by Gavepapir » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:57 pm

Here is the first little update from my incredibly long and quite silly trip across a gigantic amount of the worlds surface.

I am sitting in southern czech republic. Brno, and im so far having a tough time, fk man i think i will buckle if i keep meeting resistance. I can still turn around. I punctured 40 km into germany, then punctured the new tube trying angrily to fit it inside the tire. A motorcycle rider stopped and helped me and 2 hours later i pitched my tent in darkness. During the night i got strange breathing problems, and ended up in the hospital thw following day.
When i reached the czech border afte4 several nights of -5 celsius nights, i realised i had forgotten the official registratiom proof for the c90, so ive battled with ups for 3 days trying to find it (they lost it somewhere)
Im sleepping on the couch in a bar that thought i looked lost, so thats nice, except they party hard and dont let me sleep until 4 in the morning. But i can live with that, they are fun people.
C90 runs well, but a ticking noise started. It follows the revs whether engaged or not, meaning i guess thats its not a clutch problem. My only thought was that it was the tappes, so i sweated for 2 hours adjusting them according to manual. They are good, but ticking noise persists. It seems to follow piston. Ed march told me to beware of cam chain rattle, but it doesnt sound like rattle to me. Its just a rythmig ticking noise.

I am headed east, my ship leaves from bulgaria on 29th, and i must reach it to keep up with my visas.
Fk me this is hard. But i have moments of beauty as well. Sorry for typos, i am bad with smartphones.
Jakob

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Re: C90 trip from Denmark to Vladivostok (and back) 2024

Post by 125erCrazy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:59 pm

Jakob thanks for update sorry to hear your finding it tough at the moment but maybe you are just pushing yourself to hard and hypothermia is a thing in the most surprising of temperatures when riding.

I used to try & get bedded down by 3/4pm latest and often on the road around 10am to avoid cold frosty starts.

Partying hard is fun but.......

As for noises remember you are now living with your C90- 24/7 so 'new' noises are a concern but often our imagination & the 90 is as much a living being as you now (it's a partnership) regular oil/filter change is the key.

Cam chain wear is a thing but noticeable when it's gone but not overly expensive fix

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:08 pm

125erCrazy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:59 pm
Jakob thanks for update sorry to hear your finding it tough at the moment but maybe you are just pushing yourself to hard and hypothermia is a thing in the most surprising of temperatures when riding.

I used to try & get bedded down by 3/4pm latest and often on the road around 10am to avoid cold frosty starts.

Partying hard is fun but.......

As for noises remember you are now living with your C90- 24/7 so 'new' noises are a concern but often our imagination & the 90 is as much a living being as you now (it's a partnership) regular oil/filter change is the key.

Cam chain wear is a thing but noticeable when it's gone but not overly expensive fix
Well said. :)

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:09 pm

Gavepapir wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:57 pm
Here is the first little update from my incredibly long and quite silly trip across a gigantic amount of the worlds surface.

I am sitting in southern czech republic. Brno, and im so far having a tough time, fk man i think i will buckle if i keep meeting resistance. I can still turn around. I punctured 40 km into germany, then punctured the new tube trying angrily to fit it inside the tire. A motorcycle rider stopped and helped me and 2 hours later i pitched my tent in darkness. During the night i got strange breathing problems, and ended up in the hospital thw following day.
When i reached the czech border afte4 several nights of -5 celsius nights, i realised i had forgotten the official registratiom proof for the c90, so ive battled with ups for 3 days trying to find it (they lost it somewhere)
Im sleepping on the couch in a bar that thought i looked lost, so thats nice, except they party hard and dont let me sleep until 4 in the morning. But i can live with that, they are fun people.
C90 runs well, but a ticking noise started. It follows the revs whether engaged or not, meaning i guess thats its not a clutch problem. My only thought was that it was the tappes, so i sweated for 2 hours adjusting them according to manual. They are good, but ticking noise persists. It seems to follow piston. Ed march told me to beware of cam chain rattle, but it doesnt sound like rattle to me. Its just a rythmig ticking noise.

I am headed east, my ship leaves from bulgaria on 29th, and i must reach it to keep up with my visas.
Fk me this is hard. But i have moments of beauty as well. Sorry for typos, i am bad with smartphones.
Jakob
Keep battling. The forum is with you.

Dilbert
Rides:: Suzuki bandit-last bike 20 years ago now Peugeot tweet

Post by Dilbert » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:20 pm

Best of luck stay safe and keep us all posted, we’re all rooting for you.

Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Post by Devon general andy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:26 pm

Nice to hear from you on your travels.
Sorry to hear of your problems.
Put a few psi (air) into your tubes to give them a slight shape when putting into tyre. That will help you with the 'pinching issues'.
Good luck and decent weather to you,
Keep yourself safe,
Andy.

JOHNBOY
Rides:: HONDA SUZUKI

Post by JOHNBOY » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:05 pm

heavy duty tubes ?????????????????

Gavepapir
Rides:: C90

Post by Gavepapir » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:38 am

125erCrazy wrote:
much a living being as you now (it's a partnership) regular oil/filter change is the key.
Good advice. I change oil before 1000 miles, but am unsure about the filter. Didnt bring a spare, dont think ive ever seen it. Where is it located?

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:49 am

Gavepapir wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:38 am
125erCrazy wrote:
much a living being as you now (it's a partnership) regular oil/filter change is the key.
Good advice. I change oil before 1000 miles, but am unsure about the filter. Didnt bring a spare, dont think ive ever seen it. Where is it located?
It's just a small piece of gauze.
It may need cleaning with petrol but you'll need to remove the right hand side engine cover.

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:58 am

knapdog wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:49 am

It's just a small piece of gauze.
It may need cleaning with petrol but you'll need to remove the right hand side engine cover.
Soz I didn't explain that very well cheers KD.

A magnetic 🧲 sump plug is always a good addition as at the end of the day any silver particles/paste are a good indicator of engine health