C90 trip from Denmark to Vladivostok (and back) 2024

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Gavepapir
Rides:: C90

Re: C90 trip from Denmark to Vladivostok (and back) 2024

Post by Gavepapir » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:29 pm

update

So i am sitting on the 18th floor of a brand new high rise here in Belgrade, staying with my good ruasian friend, who moved here to Serbia after the russian mobilisation. Its beeb a bit rainy, but the sun and warmth have come, making life more easy. Had some fine days riding from czech (440 km one of the days), now with the freshly recieved registration document in my wallet.
I have spent the days in Belgrade resting and finding help for the ticking sound (and showering too by the way), and the first mechanic i saw today, could not really identify the sound. He was very friendly, gave me a new.spark plug (cause it was sooted black) and helped me do some carb adjustment. Moved the needle 1 notch down, to decrease fuel in the mix. He helped me also with valve clearance and wanted 10 euros for everything after 1 hour.
By accident i found a big, genuine honda mc mechanic, and presented them with the ticking noise. First they thought it was the tappets, but in the end they told me that the cam chain was too long. They told me that i could go without problem, but i should change oil often. They were sweet and gave me 2 liters of genuine honda oil for free.
Anyways.. The place seemed top professional, and i felt ok driving away from there. So i guesa that eventually i should get my cam chain replaced, but for now i keep going.
Do you guys have helpful advice on the matter?

So yeah.. finding solutions to small moped problems and a bit of rain is the worst right now, besides that iam happy and looking forward to the 900 km drive to burgas, bulgaria, where my ship to georgia sails from in a few days!
Peace out

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:06 pm

Gavepapir wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:29 pm
update
So yeah.. finding solutions to small moped problems and a bit of rain is the worst right now, besides that iam happy and looking forward to the 900 km drive to burgas, bulgaria, where my ship to georgia sails from in a few days!
Peace out
Good vibes 👍
Please name the Honda dealership as generosity is a rare thing in this day & age & that's actually saved you €40 at least

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

I am now camping besides huge oil refinery in Burgas bulgaria. Quick question! Can i do something about the cam chain myself? I think it has a slight rattle, and i have been thinking if i can simply turn the bolt underneath, let the tensioner readjust itself, and then tighten the bolt again. Is that how the system works? My honda is a c90 from 94.

Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Post by Devon general andy » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

You've got an automatic tensioner on a '94.
There's a spring, a pushrod with a rubber end that pushes onto an arm that moves with a sprocket. The sprocket runs with the chain to tension it. There's a hydraulic elament to it aswell with the engine oil filling the pushrod and passage.
The earlier C90s had a manual adjuster.
If yours is a 1994 engine it is auto. If it's not working then it can be a number of reasons. Spring, sprocket, rubber end or could just be stretched chain. They don't really stretch, they wear and get longer. It's rare for the arm to seize but the pushrod can stick. If you really think it cam chain problems... the only way is to take out the gen plate and look at the chain and components.... not a five minute job!
Andy.

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 am

Devon general andy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm
If you really think it cam chain problems... the only way is to take out the gen plate and look at the chain and components.... not a five minute job!
Andy.
Thanks for info. I will leave it for now and pray to some mechanical god. I am not sure about chain, i am not sure about the rattle at all, or if im going a bit crazy by driving 8 hours every day. Today i sail over the black see.
Ill write update soo !

Devon general andy
Rides:: SH300 (2016),'88 C90MG,'94 & '95 C90P, '98 C90T & other 12v sq h.lt models.

Post by Devon general andy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am

Obviously the cam chain goes all round the head to drive the cam shaft.
You can check to see if oil is circulating round the head area by loosening a nut. 5 minute job with 10mm spanner on centre stand. Don't have to remove Anything.
You have your head plate on the end of the engine with the two tappet covers above and below. The head plate has four nuts.
Have the engine warm so it idles nice.
Kneel down beside front wheel and LOOKING FROM FRONT OF BIKE!! Loosen off the LOWER LEFT nut (10 mm) just 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Oil should trickle / ouse out at a steady rate. If this happens.... looking good 👍.
Tighten up nut again, wipe clean and check for leaks.
========================================
LOWER LEFT NUT LOOKING AT FRONT OF BIKE.
========================================
All the best and good luck on your adventure,
Andy.

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:50 pm

3rd update

Again thankss for your good advice!!!

Ok holy moly, where to begin.. reached my ship and sailed with 40 truckers over the black sea. Arriving to misty batumi, early morning on the 3rd day, i cleared customs and dodged cattle on the roads (and highways) until i reached Tbilisi. Had some mechanics check cam chain, and it was brand new, no wear. So i have decided to let the ticking noise be.. its prolly the tappets, all the mechanics say so, and the clearance is fine.
Headed to azerbaidjan, but got info by someone that border was still closed due to corona (haha, suuure), so with dread i headed slowly towards the mountains of armenia.
Cant describe well.. like.. mountains mountains.. crossed mountains by 40 km of complwtely snowcovered nature in 2500 m altitude. Great vallleys.. silk road buildings from the 1300s. I was exhausted when i finally reached iran, but i have probably never seen anything this beautiful.
My exhaust pipe has started making a dry "poof", like a fart, when i am going down hill. Usually i go in 3rd gear, but thr descent is greater than the engine speed.. or like.. how to say it.. the engine is lessening down hill speed. Should i worry about this exhaust fart? It seems to be happening more and more, but only downhill.

I am cheerful. As khalil gibran writes; the deeper sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain. Iran is, of course, amazing (went to restaurant here on the first day, was refused to pay, and they offered me in a way i could not rejext to sleep in their restaurant. )

Jakob

Devon general andy

Post by Devon general andy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:01 pm

It's quite common for cub engines to 'spit' on the overrun going down hill at speed. It can happen at lower speeds aswell..... going down hill with throttle wide open then suddenly shut off... engine spits / pops from exit at end of chrome silencer.
It can be due to a weak mixture going though the cylinder and exhaust because of the speed of the engine and the throttle position not corresponding together. NO NEED TO ADJUST CARB.
The other reason can be leaks from the exhaust port where the exhaust pipe connects, sucking in air / blowing.
There should be a crush gasket in between.
Sometimes the exhaust nuts need tightening.
BE VERY CAREFULL HERE. IF THE EXHUAST NUTS HAVE NOT BEEN UNDONE FOR AGES... THEY CAN CORRODE AND THE STUDS SHEER OFF!!! This area gets slaughtered in water from the front wheel.
WD40 or similar the night before can help the threads to move. Hot engine aswell... wear woven or leather gloves. You sometimes see sooty deposites around the port / exhuast joint.

If it only does it on the downhill overrun with the throttle closed / shut.... I' d probably just leave it for now. If it gets louder and more frequent... then maybe investigate.

Glad you're doing fine and having a wonderful adventure. Keep safe and well,
all the best Andy.

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:20 am

Thank you for the update Jakob,glad all is well and that you have received such a warm welcome in Iran which in the current climate proves it's not the people who create the problems but the politicians

8-)

Gavepapir

Post by Gavepapir » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:54 pm

You're so welcome, and thanks for the tips. Another question:
I am unsure about how to handle the oil filter.. i have driven now around 4000 km. Should i clean it? Is it easy enough for myself to clean with simple tools?

Iran is amazing so far. 1 liter of gas costs around 6 cents, us cents. It smells like gas everywhere, but besides that its beautiful and people are the most curious.. getting stopped on the highway by people wanting to offer me tea.