Le parcours de la technique de contrôle

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Re: Le parcours de la technique de contrôle

Post by Capitano » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:00 am

125erCrazy wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:42 pm

as there is seriously nothing in Newhaven town centre & have no doubt it could make "Britains Crappiest Towns" book
It could be the crap capital of England.

The Mayor of Newhaven used to work for me, so I got the whole rundown of what was wrong with it, back in the early '00s.

For a major ferry port it's woefully starved of investment in the correct areas.

125erCrazy
Rides:: C125 Super Cub/Address 110

Post by 125erCrazy » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:14 am

Godspeed wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:02 am
Weather does seem pretty atrocious for this time of year…
Thank you. Take care riding to Helsinki.

I actually rode peage figuring the cops would all be dunking their croissants in their vino as it was night shift & I was right.

I forgot French roads have no street lighting so the back roads would have taken forever.

For July it was like winter riding where I'd plan overnight stops and never travel after 4pm.

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:21 am

Capitano wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:00 am
For a major ferry port it's woefully starved of investment in the correct areas.
DFDS have the contract for the next 10 years I recall & as the crossing prices are so good my fellow travelers had come from Dorset & Barnsley as even with the fuel cost it was still cheaper than using their local ports.
I realise ferry traffic is transient but all of us spent money at local food outlets, garages & supermarkets

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:49 am

Did you know if you are over 60 you can get a discount on DFDS telephone bookings only ;) . In Dieppe there is an all-you-can-eat chinese buffet which is on my must-do list now, up near Decathalon. and I have used the Vitamin campsite there too, this June it was home to a girls rugby tournament.

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:35 pm

wightegi wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:49 am
Did you know if you are over 60 you can get a discount on DFDS telephone bookings only
Cheers for heads up 8-) . Hopefully discount greater than their charge per minute call rate :shock:

I shall give that a go for my next crossing & report back

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:03 pm

125erCrazy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:55 pm
I have just wasted an hour writing the last part of the ride report for my connection to fail and lose the lot.

I'm not doing it all again.

So I will simply say the ride home was very wet (raining stair rods) with severe roads flooding and unable to see the road markings. I could actually say the worst riding conditions in memory

I left the port just after 10.30pm & arrived at the door at 6am Friday morning

I rode a distance of 637miles so it was no LeJog standard but I enjoyed the challenge. It was easier to do when I was in my 40's

Next year I'll try & get the MOT sorted before the holidays :lol: :lol:

Shocking lack of foresight and planning.

Bogger

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:47 pm

125erCrazy wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:21 am
Capitano wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:00 am
DFDS have the contract for the next 10 years I recall & as the crossing prices are so good my fellow travelers had come from Dorset & Barnsley as even with the fuel cost it was still cheaper than using their local ports.
I realise ferry traffic is transient but all of us spent money at local food outlets, garages & supermarkets
The ferry crossing has been great for over 2 decades now, and still thrives.

The outlying retail and industrial parks are well used and generally well run with a few exceptions.

The town centre is another kettle of fish entirely.

My favourite story from the ex Mayor's back catalogue came as a result of a group of the of the "blatantly f***ing useless," town councillors not wanting to call a new harbour-side housing development after the person who fought to get it built for personal reasons.

Instead the group's spokesperson attempted to filibuster the discussion by suggesting that the development be called after local wildlife. To this end, he waxed lyrical about the birds of the harbour, proposing that the development be called, "Cormorant Court."

Fortunately this allowed the Mayor to intervene with a correction.

"I must correct the honourable gentleman. The birds he refers to are not cormorants. They are actually Black Shags. He may now continue his justification for calling the development after local ornithology."

:lol:

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:50 pm

Capitano wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:47 pm
The ferry crossing has been great for over 2 decades now, and still thrives.
The outlying retail and industrial parks are well used and generally well run with a few exceptions.
I shouldn't big it up really as Newhaven -Dieppe is one of the best kept secrets going and success will only lead to increased costs.

Agreed but the flooding at North Quay still not sorted resulting in me riding on the pavement for the least engine submersion :lol:

125erCrazy

Post by 125erCrazy » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:55 pm

Bogger wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:03 pm
Shocking lack of foresight and planning.
Bogger
You think this is a clusterf***" I haven't mentioned the fact I forgot French motorways don't have lighting & failing to connect the fuel hose properly filled my underseat tray with petrol which was fortunately soaked up by the tent :lol: :lol:

Providing I can get ETIAS sorted :twisted: next year's 5 week grand tour will be a complete carbuncle ;)