La France

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Re: La France

Post by Capitano » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:02 pm

fatboytours wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:59 am
Very good Glyn.

Ronan must have the biggest tank bag I have ever seen. I wouldn't be able to get on the bike with that on it
It looks like the same Baglux one that I have.

It can go from pancake flat to the size of a small caravan by undoing one zip.

8-)

richie the 1st
Rides:: Honda sh 125i/Peouget tweet 125.suzuki address silver/blue

Post by richie the 1st » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:39 pm

have enjoyed this write up and the photos and more :)

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:12 am

There is more to come. Stop groaning at the back.

Bogger

kayz1
Rides:: 1977 C70 scott nss300 & ct125

Post by kayz1 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:19 am

Keep it up Sir.. :D

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:06 pm

Day 9 Thursday

This is our last day with Ronan as we head for home tomorrow. Boo Hoo.
So today we are going to do a fair few miles down to Saint Nazaire. Ronans home town.

We are going to the dock area to visit the Submarine museum and the WW11 U-Boat pens.
We again met at Ronans place. Just the four of us today, we’ll meet up with Franck later on.

Ronan asks if he can have a go on my C125 Super Cub. Certainly mon ami no problem. I didn’t quite realise that in France a go of, means literally all day. I never got the Cub back until that evening.

Again Ronan is leading, this time on the mighty Cub. Saint Nazaire, brace yourself, here we come.
The journey to Saint Nazaire takes us through the stunning scenery of Parc naturel de Briere. Taking in the vilages of Saint-Joachim and Saint-Malo-de-Guersac.

The villages within the Parc are basically tiny islands surrounded by marshes and water courses. It was only when we stopped in the villages and this was pointed out to us could we see the expanse of reed beds and water for miles in every direction.

Soon the roads are starting to get bigger. We must be getting close to Saint Nazaire. It’s busy, but not mad type busy and soon we are into the vast dock area heading towards the U-Boat pens.

Sometimes it’s nice having someone in front who actually knows the area. It gives you time to take it all in and have a nosey whilst riding. We pull into a car park right opposite to the WW11 U-Boat pens.
Saint Nazaire WW2 U-Boat Pens

Hmm, I wondered, which poor buggers had to build that lot for the German cause? They were still very impressive though. The dock that we were at, Basin de Saint Nazaire also housed the French Museum submarine Sous-marin Espadon.

Espadon Museum Submarine
It Was Very Cramped Inside
The Canteen But Also Note The Bunk Beds
The Galley Was About Five Foot Square

We had a tour of the Espadon aided by English audio headphones. I have no idea what modern Subs are like. But I can tell you, those from the 1960’s are blimmin awful places to live and work. My God they are so cramped. Not for me thanks. However it was very interesting and informative.

Before too long we are out in the hot midday sun. Ronan said that we should take lunch at his cousins’ restaurant, not more than ten minutes away, in the dock complex. We all agree that it’s a splendid idea. What a lunch it was.

Food And Drink At Saint Nazaire
More Relations, Ronans Uncle
Imageimagehost

Five courses including wine for less than twenty euros each. We obviously met some more of Ronans family. It was like a scene out of the Godfather, minus the horses’ heads. We spent a very pleasant couple of hours there, eating and drinking (a little) and chatting away without a care in the world. How very cosmopolitan.

Time to head for our new home of Malestroit. I’ve not got me bike back! I can’t prise it out of Ronans Gallic paws?

Head for home? Well via the Plage de La Baule. A very upmarket French holiday destination just a few miles North of Saint Nazaire.
Then onto the salt marshes of Marais Oellets Blancs de Guerande. There are few roads that traverse the vast salt marshes. It’s devoid of houses and very beautiful.

Salt Marshes

We then head inland to the Walled town of Guerande. We park the bikes up just outside the town walls and spend an hour taking in the inner town itself. It was touristy, but also quintessentially French medieval. In fact it was a lovely place.

Parking Up Outside the Mediaeval Town Of Guerande
Image[/url
It Was Just As Nice Inside The Walls
[url=https://postimg.cc/21bYR4C0]Image

Vintage BMW In Guerande

Time to go…again. Back to Malestroit? No, further North to Port Azal on the Vilaine River.

We pull into the car park and are confronted by Francks BMW and a Norton Commando. We sidle over to the onsite café bar to meet up again with Franck and another new mate Brian. Brian is French and a local to the area. We have a quick coffee and are soon on our way with Brian leading.
We are following the river inland and cross one of the bridges into the town of La Roche Bernard. We do a lap of the town and are then heading along deserted roads to who knows where?
Bike Lined Up AT Port Azal
I Wasn't Expecting To See One Of These In Britanny
L To R Brian, Franck and Ronan

The further we go the faster we go. Brian is giving the Commando some stick, but Nige on his 125 Cub is never more than thirty meters behind. I really don’t know how he’s keeping up, but I’ve known Nige a long time and know what a good rider he is.
Brian keeps checking behind to see if he’s left us. Sorry mate. No.

Soon we are pulling off the road to be greeted by a ginormous property and garden. Yup, it’s Brians place and very nice and large it was too.

Ronan was waxing lyrical about my Super Cub and how good it was. I’ve had seventy four out of it coming here. Thanks Ronan I’m sure it’s run in by now.
We have a look at Brians Ducatis, then he wheels out a 1970’s Suzuki GT125. OMG I was in love. I’ve always liked this model along with the GT185. Proper nostalgic and it started up first kick and sat there idling away. I obviously had to tweak the throttle a few times.
Parked Up Outside Brians Pad

Some of Brians Bike Collection

A Couple Of Brians Ongoing Projects
Hmmmm GT125 Luvvly

There was, in my opinion better to come as he ushered us inside his workshops to the inner sanctum to show us his tiddly 50cc racer. It had a really nice finish to it and it was a fantastic restoration. He was justifiably very proud of it.
This Was Really Special

Time, for Malestroit. Really, are you really sure this time? We were all a bit knackered it was past six O’ clock.
Ronan said we must be at his house for 8pm for Crepes and drinks. Oh, it wasn’t negotiable again either. So our last night was spent with Ronan and his family along with Franck and his wife, eating and drinking in plendid company A perfect end to a perfect holiday.

Crepes and Obviously Drinks At Ronans

Jason About To Tuck In

Bogger

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Post by fatboytours » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:11 am

Great stuff Glyn, I really did miss a trip of a lifetime. What was with the bars on that Commando? American export?

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi

Post by Bogger » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:09 pm

Not sure about the Commando bars. I sure he said he'd owned from the Seventies. Maybe it was an import?

Bogger

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:37 pm

Itz custom init M9... :lol: :lol:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:54 pm

Great thread Bogger, really enjoyed reading that and made me think I'd like to visit some of the places you visited. :D

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi

Post by Bogger » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:49 pm

Day 9 Friday, Homeward Bound

We were up early and packed away for 9.00am we rode to Ronans to say our goodbyes. I do admit, I had a bit of a lump in my throat and the wind was making my eyes water a little. We all agreed that in the not too distant future we would all meet up again. All too soon we were heading back in the direction of Rennes and Normandy.
Short Stop On the Way Back For A Few Provisions And Fuel

Imagesawmill grill menu in oxford pa

The ferry was the next day at 11.00am so our lodgings for this evening were back in Epretot at Ronans Sisters place. Gluttens for punishment, or what. Err them not us.
It was hot on the way back and at one fuel stop I did my normal trick of having forty winks.
From Pont-L’eveque I led and missed the turn off on the Peage for Epretot, Doh.

The Fools Invited Us Back To Epretot

We finally arrived in Epretot to find the house deserted. They’ve had second thoughts and done a runner! Ooh err. I tried the front door and it was open. I gave a very loud knock and shortly Ronans nephew answered the door. Ronan had mentioned that his Sister and her husband were off to the theatre that evening.
We had our last night in France eating Baguette, Camembert and drinking red wine. You know what, we is practically French we is.
Enjoying Our Last Night In France. Wine Baguette and Cheese

The last day was the normal slog home, along with remembering all the good times we’d had and the thoughts of work on Monday. Welcome back to reality.
My total miles, for the trip was 1,790mls mostly at fifty to sixty five miles an hour. Along with the odd seventy four mile and hour spurt, by a certain French test pilot.
Hopefully We Will Return.

I kept all my fuel receipts and the bike averaged 142.8 mpg. I thought that was pretty amazing.
We might make Croatia next time. There again, the area of Brittany we visited was stunning, so who knows?

Bogger