Stretching her legs!

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Re: Stretching her legs!

Post by knapdog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm

^^^^^ You sure you want to do Lejog in March, sheriff?
.....plus, in my opinion, Jogle is better than Lejog.

Jordan90
Rides:: C90 / C70 6v / T80 / Tomos 50 / RM250

Post by Jordan90 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:42 pm

knapdog wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm
Tell me about it!! And we are camping :lol: :lol: I can see a hotel being suggested after the 2nd night!

LEJOG appeals to me more for some reason. I think to have the destination somewhere as spectacular as the Highlands (I have never been) will give me more pleasure than arriving in Cornwall.

Not that I have anything against Cornwall obviously..

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Jordan90 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:42 pm
knapdog wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 pm
Tell me about it!! And we are camping :lol: :lol: I can see a hotel being suggested after the 2nd night!

LEJOG appeals to me more for some reason. I think to have the destination somewhere as spectacular as the Highlands (I have never been) will give me more pleasure than arriving in Cornwall.

Not that I have anything against Cornwall obviously..
I understand what you're saying but there's something about heading south with the "sun" shining on you.
Arriving in John O'Groats will be deflating as there's nothing there (apologies to my Scottish cousins) whereas if you head south you can then stay in the superb "Old Success Inn", right by the sea around the corner from Land's End, in Sennen Cove, and have a decent pint with great atmosphere and a first class meal in their popular restaurant.
Then wake up and have a 08.00 invigorating swim before breakfast to get rid of the cobwebs.

l-r: the ffox, knapdog, billyfix and libby

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:13 pm

I think most people Automatically think Lands End to John O Groats, because if you are cycling or rolling a pea with your nose in a Mr Blobby costume, you want the prevailing wind up your chuff!

It's been a while now since I did it. It took 3 days to get to John O Groats. A day to get to Land's End, a day to recover in Cornwall, and a day to ride home from Cornwall.

The ride down from John O Groats on the East coast, was spectacular, best take it slow and easy if you have the time on your return.

Plan your fuel stops North of Edinburgh / Glasgow, you'll struggle to get 97 RON if it's your preferred fuel. Watch out for garages closed or gone. Best phone them before hand to check they are trading and their hours.

Finally, the only advice of any worth, and really important...

Don't, under any circumstances, venture onto the A9 in the dark. I've ridden Motorways in the dark, Autobahns covered in snow, And rode the Brussels ring road at rush hour on a Cub.

They don't come close to my breaking down several times on the A9, with lorries eight feet off your tail, and no hard shoulder, not even 2ft of tarmac to heave over! The edge of the road is a six inch drop onto inhospitable rockyness, which would have you off in an instant.

The only thing that came close to that experience was riding from one side of the M25 to the other, on snow, in the dark, and that was terrifying. (17 years a commercial diver, trust me I know terrifying. ;) )

The lorry drivers up there are pigs. They want out of that bleak area as soon as they can, and after slaloming around unicyclists dressed as Batman, and the umpteenth Mr Blobby, They don't have much care for a 'bloody moped'.

Enjoy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:19 pm

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:52 pm

We only travelled B roads and Minor roads.

Jordan90

Post by Jordan90 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:58 pm

I hear you Knapdog. The sun on your face does sound appealing. Maybe I’ll try JOGLE in some warmer weather! Thank you for sharing the Lands End accommodation.

Jordan90

Post by Jordan90 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Newtsalad wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:13 pm
I think most people Automatically think Lands End to John O Groats, because if you are cycling or rolling a pea with your nose in a Mr Blobby costume, you want the prevailing wind up your chuff!

It's been a while now since I did it. It took 3 days to get to John O Groats. A day to get to Land's End, a day to recover in Cornwall, and a day to ride home from Cornwall.

The ride down from John O Groats on the East coast, was spectacular, best take it slow and easy if you have the time on your return.

Plan your fuel stops North of Edinburgh / Glasgow, you'll struggle to get 97 RON if it's your preferred fuel. Watch out for garages closed or gone. Best phone them before hand to check they are trading and their hours.

Finally, the only advice of any worth, and really important...

Don't, under any circumstances, venture onto the A9 in the dark. I've ridden Motorways in the dark, Autobahns covered in snow, And rode the Brussels ring road at rush hour on a Cub.

They don't come close to my breaking down several times on the A9, with lorries eight feet off your tail, and no hard shoulder, not even 2ft of tarmac to heave over! The edge of the road is a six inch drop onto inhospitable rockyness, which would have you off in an instant.

The only thing that came close to that experience was riding from one side of the M25 to the other, on snow, in the dark, and that was terrifying. (17 years a commercial diver, trust me I know terrifying. ;) )

The lorry drivers up there are pigs. They want out of that bleak area as soon as they can, and after slaloming around unicyclists dressed as Batman, and the umpteenth Mr Blobby, They don't have much care for a 'bloody moped'.

Enjoy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The prevailing winds are another reason I have chosen LEGOG, I feel it could potentially be a big factor given the time of year. Although knowing my luck it will be blowing south easterly!!

Thank you for the heads up re the petrol stations, I do plan on carrying 5l extra per bike as I like venturing off if something takes my fancy ;)

I have heard all about the a9, thankfully the route I am taking avoids this! I’ll be using mainly B roads with the odd A road here n there.

M25 in the snow :lol: you mad man!!

Jordan90

Post by Jordan90 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Newtsalad wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:19 pm
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=749&p=7331
Great read!!

The picture of the off-road ready cub at the top caught my attention. Is this a yearly race?

Viper254
Rides:: C70C (12v) (1983), Suzuki Inazuma 250 (2016)

Post by Viper254 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:02 pm

There's a ferry; perhaps it's at somewhere called Dunoon? Which means you can avoid the Glasgow urban area.

Land's End is a dump (I grew up around there). It's a lousy starting place, not the most Southerly (The Lizard is) or the most Westernly.

*edit - perhaps I'm being too harsh - having grown up in the area Land's End is a universal joke, but the surrounding roads, coves, pubs and scenery are pretty nice. It's just Land's End that's bizarre*

There's a YHA in Sennen that may be good for accomodation on a budget, but the pub that's previously mentioned is pretty awesome.

As people say, you'll need a little extra fuel.

When I last did it (I never made it to the top of Scotland in 2016) I took too much food, and too many clothes.

Be confident in the structual integrity of your top box, if you have one. Mine shattered like glass when I hit a pothole, which was awkward.

Get one of the £1.99 AA road maps from Aldi. Phone signal is far more fickle than the world would like us to believe.

And if you fancy changing direction, just do it - don't be rigid with your plans.