Stretching her legs!

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Jordan90
Rides:: C90 / C70 6v / T80 / Tomos 50 / RM250

Stretching her legs!

Post by Jordan90 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi all! I have owned my Cub for 10 years now, but have only ever used it as a run around/play thing. This has unfortunately equated to 10 years of minimal maintainence and occasional abuse.. I hear you wince!
I have always been into bikes having competed in motocross from a young age and the odd track day on a borrowed R1, but have never really ventured out particularly far on motorcycle other that riding to the Isle of Man last year to watch the TT on said R1. Even though it chucked it down from Essex to Liverpool, then the whole time we was at the TT I had a great time (my wrists and bum did not agree but what else can you expect from a silly sports bike :roll: )
This did however leave me wanting a bit more of an adventure so last year I decided that I would take on the well trodden route of LEJOG for my 30th birthday this March, and that it would be on my trusty CUB. Much to the confusion of my friends and family that just do not get it!
After the 10 years of unforgivable neglect she still seems completely rideable (obviously, it’s a cub) so I decided to blow the cobwebs off and put in a few miles. So I booked my self an MOT in my old stomping ground of Southend at Eastern Cruisers.
I set off this morning bright and breezy with a jerry can of fuel, some completely inadequate gloves and ripped my way down the B roads from Thetford to Southend. After some banter with the long haired bearded guys in Easyern Cruisers the trusty stead passed with only a couple of advisories (Play in the rear swinging arm and knackered rear shocks) result!!
After a hearty fry up I was ready for more and set off home. She was feeling a little underpowered with 45mph max on the straights but was running like a dream.. until I reached Dunmow where she started intermittently die and splutter.. I pulled over and quickly realised that Petrol was pi**ing from the carb! I ditched the tap off and realised the bowl had vibrated loose and I was hanging onto one of the screws by half a turn!
A quick bit of roadside maintenance with the leatherman and I was on my way, happy days!
I took the scenic route there and back and clocked up a healthy 190 miles. Although it did take me 7 hours :lol:
It was a bit cold but I thoroughly enjoyed my ride and am looking forward to giveing her some much deserved love and attention ready for the big ride.

I have already done a huge amount of reading through previous posts but any recommendations on prep work for LEJOG would be much appreciated!

While I am here I would just like to say thank you to everyone on here for their shared knowledge and wisdom.

And if anyone fancies joining me late March you are more than welcome!!

culfy
Rides:: several honda c90's c70 and c50, lambretta li special puch and a honda cbf

Re: Stretching her legs!

Post by culfy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:03 am

Well done that man ,I'm in the very early stages of planning a JOGLAN for 2019 so will keep an eye on your posts :D

Jordan90

Post by Jordan90 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:33 am

You may find me stranded half way :lol:

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 am

Nice one! I've had the floatbowl try to self eject too, wait till the top of the carb unscrews itself and the slide pops out! My son arrived at mine on my Cub once with the engine screaming - "Dad the twistgrip doesn't work". He had ridden from Chelmsford like it. :D

Eastern Cruisers for an MOT - you are brave. Can't remember his name but the owner can be a bit "off hand" if you don't turn up on a V twin, or even if you do.

I do the same route in reverse quite often, living near Sarfend, usually on the way to Finchingfield or Andrews Field at Stebbing. 190 miles must have been very scenic. 190 miles on a Cub seat is a test as well.

Good luck on your venture. :D

Jordan90

Post by Jordan90 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:52 am

Haha! He did well there without a clutch!

“Biff” Even though he apparently HATES Hondas, I think he secretly had a soft spot for mine ;) If I arrived on a ‘Street cub’ I think it may have been a different story!

I must admit, I was shocked at how comfortable the bike was! Being able to move about on the seat is an absolute treat. I even pushed my bum back to the top box and tucked into the bars for a top speed run! I must have looked such a plonker in my big hi vis jacket :lol: :lol:

The only thing which was an absolute nuisance was that the rear brake lever vibrates like a bas**rd from 38-45. Maybe just needs a new tension spring??

Thank you very much, I can’t wait! (Bar mits will be a definite)

Viper254
Rides:: C70C (12v) (1983), Suzuki Inazuma 250 (2016)

Post by Viper254 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Jordan90 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:59 pm
Had any thoughts on route? I could be tempted to join you for a couple of days! I'm in Stoke-on-Trent so I'm fairly hard to avoid :D

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi Jordan. If you are in Thetford, I can recommend Peter Bavin of Bavin's Motorcycles of Diss, for MOT's. He rides a Townmate, among other things, and understands the little bikes and their shortcomings. He's done all mine for a few years now, always fair.

Jordan90

Post by Jordan90 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am

Viper254 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:17 pm
Jordan90 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:59 pm
Had any thoughts on route? I could be tempted to join you for a couple of days! I'm in Stoke-on-Trent so I'm fairly hard to avoid :D
Viper I will be loosely following the route shown in the Cicerone- End To End Cycle Route book. So I will definitely be coming through your neck of the woods. I’ll kee you posted on dates!

Jordan90

Post by Jordan90 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:32 am

Newtsalad wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:06 pm
Hi Jordan. If you are in Thetford, I can recommend Peter Bavin of Bavin's Motorcycles of Diss, for MOT's. He rides a Townmate, among other things, and understands the little bikes and their shortcomings. He's done all mine for a few years now, always fair.

Thanks for that Newt, much appreciated! I am fairly new to the area so any local knowledge is gladly received.

I will be on my Cub and a friend is taking my, ahem, smoother and more comfortable, Townmate. So I am sure they will need a going over once the trip is completed.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:47 am

Ah, but the Cub is faster! :lol:

Look out for the East Anglian rideout, May 25th to 28th at Lingwood, Norwich. Always good to meet up, and put faces to names. :)