Travel to Scotland, Ireland in chinese cub - advices, experience?

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
drago76
Rides:: JMStar JSD100, Honda CB500s 1998, Ex-Yamaha XJ600 1991

Travel to Scotland, Ireland in chinese cub - advices, experience?

Post by drago76 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 am

Hello!
plan to travel to Scotland and Ireland -sadly, looks like not next year ( maybe Norway in next), but, possible, in 2019....?
chinese cub-like, 97cc, four speed, maxspeed about 50 mph, and long-time speed about 40 mph.
range about 150 miles.

it was capable to drive in highlands?
what ferries curse from near baltic states, and what is best used?
what is prices for food, accomodations?
there is allowed to place a tent?
what was weather in summer - july, august?
in case of problems with moped - what is possibility to find garages, where is familiar with cub-like mopeds, and a spare parts?
Irish and Scottish is that, was in "Braveheart" and "the guard" films? :D
i be happy for as much information, as i can get.
thanks in advance...

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Re: Travel to Scotland, Ireland in chinese cub - advices, experience?

Post by Bogger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:12 pm

In answer to your questions.

1. Yes
2. A boat
3. As much or as little as you want to pay, or free at the side of the highland roads
4. Yes
5. Probably shit.
6. Probably no
7. Yes.
8. Just go and do it but take waterproofs and 2ltrs of spare fuel

Bogger

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Oh forgot to add. I did it last week two up.

Bogger

orcadian
Rides:: GL1500SE, CBF600SA8, CB400/4, CB350/4, 1983 C50LAC, 1993 C90P and others!

Post by orcadian » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Yes, you can ride on all roads in Scotland with your cub. Some of the spectacular hills might be a challenge though, especially the Bealach or Pass of the Cattle to Applecross in the West. Even though there are many mountains the roads often go around them alongside the lochs. Many garages in small villages should be able to help but shiny showrooms are best avoided. You can erect a tent almost anywhere in Scotland and have the right to roam almost anywhere - responsibly!

You can get a decent meal for £10 to £12 and accommodation away from the big cities can be found for £25 with breakfast. Have a look at easy-breaks, they have some good deals with evening meal included.

The weather? Yes, we get weather everyday!! May in Scotland is often better than June/July/August when the biting midges in the West can chase you away to somewhere in the East.

We used to have a system when I was in the GoldWing Club where members could look up facilities for help from other members Worldwide. This might include tools, shelter, advice etc, - is there an appetite for this facility with our bikes?

Let us know nearer the time what you are planning and we might be able to meet up.

Don't have any real info about Ireland - but someone will be along soon

Ian ( in the very North of Scotland)

drago76

Post by drago76 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:52 pm

thanks for great post ! :)
shiny showrooms i avoid in any case, because, possibly, i am even more stingy, than hebrews :D

i specially mark Bealach or Pass of the Cattle to Applecross on my plans as pints, where i must going in any way, and trying to conqueror that mountains ! :D
at this moment most uphill for my moped was on some helsinki streets, who have surprisingly steep gradient. for my surprise, my moped accelerate on this even on second gear, but new goals is always good thing :)

yes, meet some of cub / wave / innova drivers will be great thing too, especially taking in account, in my country that thing of transport is so unpopular, i see only two mopeds like me in a years. all looking for big, shiny, unpractical motorcycles to lift his ego, not for practical ones... :\

strange about may - there is not very cold in may?
in latvia this is still very cold month - in a nights sometimes even bellow freezing, and in a day too not warm... bit too cold for long distance travel, i think, mostly :\

orcadian
Rides:: GL1500SE, CBF600SA8, CB400/4, CB350/4, 1983 C50LAC, 1993 C90P and others!

Post by orcadian » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Hello again,
Almost every year I go from our island (Orkney) to the highlands of Scotland for a meet up with a friend from Yorkshire and we nearly always go in May - yes, it's not as warm as the so called summer months but we only occasionally have a night time frost which burns away quickly - less rain too! The tourists are not out in force, nor are the midges! The hotels and B&B's are easier to find and glad of the custom - but it's your trip!

From your earlier post, I think the Ferry along the Baltic only goes as far as Northern Germany, then it's probably Rotterdam to Hull. There is a ship from Ijmuiden in Nederland which goes to Rosyth near Edinburgh but we found that more expensive, even with the distance saved. It's a long way to the Highlands from the Channel ports.
Ian

raybarber
Rides:: Honda SH300

Post by raybarber » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:16 pm

You might find this of interest.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MfVAXnm-jI

drago76

Post by drago76 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-YBRYXwvcs

that was my most steep uphill until now :D

bit not understand. -what that means:

nor are the midges

? :-O

about Scottish men videos - yes, i already see it, but from one hand - my english is anyway very bad, and when it go up to scottish english ( or what it can call), i understand even less, if it was possible at all :D

orcadian

Post by orcadian » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 pm

The midges are small biting insects which are mainly in the West of Scotland and they can be a real nuisance - they are not around in strong winds, but when it's calm. They can really spoil your fun!!
I liked the you tube clip of the Pass - he did it the wrong way! The other way is much more fun. Coming up those hair pins, two up on a 1500 GoldWing was a challenge

drago76

Post by drago76 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:46 pm

oh, something like mosquito, i get.
there it was mainly near ponds, rivers and a forests.

goldwing, i suppose, is no fun at mostly :D
even my cb500s have less fun, than my cub-derrivative, i think.

some years ago been in testdrive of electraglide ( 1.7 litres engine, if i remember correctly) - pathetic piece of shit, i thing. nothing good - no fast acceleration, not good torque from iddle, weighty, and clumpy....
but some sort of people very love big and shiny things, for looks more important, having it ;)