Realistic daily distance touring?

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Re: Realistic daily distance touring?

Post by Diesel Dave » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:06 am

I agree with Nic, I always plan on averaging 30mph and it's never far off.

The more people in your group the slower it will be - this is called 'Boils law of motorcycling in groups', basically because it makes my blood boil.

See if you recognise these quotes:

"I need fuel"
Why we only stopped 20 miles ago?
"Yeah but I didn't need any then"

I stop to look at map, after 3 seconds I fold it away replace gloves and look around to find the entire group decamped into the long grass, some have a fag on the go; others eating chocolate bars and 3 have fallen asleep and are snoring loudly.

Puncture time, the victim stand idly by whilst the grafters get stuck in. After extracting a tube with 15 patches from the tyre with the canvas showing we ask for his spare...
"Oh I never carry one, I'll patch that one - anyone got a patch?"

Each of the above and at least 2000 other likely scenarios will have your blood boiling.

orcadian
Rides:: GL1500SE, CBF600SA8, CB400/4, CB350/4, 1983 C50LAC, 1993 C90P and others!

Post by orcadian » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks again for all the posts,
I knew about throwovers but being a tight fisted git from Yorkshire (originally) I'm looking at making my Altura Skye bike panniers into a throw over kit - I take your point about having the straps under, rather than over the seat - great idea!
As an engineer by trade with a very well equipped workshop, I have no difficulty making adaptations but leaving the possibility of reverting to standard afterwards.
Thanks DD, I had the usual chuckle at your obvious experience of group riding - yes, been there, but I now use the T shirt for cleaning the bike - it don't fit anymore!
At 68 I'm just hanging around on Death Row so there's never any rush these days! Fortunately there are only two of us on this trip and I'm told I'm a control freak so will be insisting we eat, drink, pee, fuel up and sleep with some coordination.
I will also be 'Spanner Man'
The 30mph average sounds do able. Strange thing this average job - when we go on our trips South by car (sometimes a 4 litre Supercharged Daimler, often a Honda CRV and occasionally a classic Mini) the average is always around 50. Our previous daily driver had a readout of average speed and being Orkney based it read 38mph over 6000 miles - my friend from Hull has an identical vehicle and his averaged 19mph over the same distance. Don't want to live in a city again!
About fuel: with the decent mpg, how much extra do folks carry? I don't intend fitting a permanent solution but would rather find a suitable legal container, perhaps 2 litres?

Ian

wightegi
Rides:: 12v 1988 e start C90,Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Post by wightegi » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:02 pm

2 litres should get you about 40 miles ,there are a lot of 2l cans around but a lot need a funnel to fill some have wide mouths ,check fuel friend on ebay.

orcadian
Rides:: GL1500SE, CBF600SA8, CB400/4, CB350/4, 1983 C50LAC, 1993 C90P and others!

Post by orcadian » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 pm

Great, thanks for that,
There are lots to choose from, some with filler tube included - that's the way forward - I can't imagine needing more than that, we will not be 'out in the sticks' much and my little Garmin 60csx give fuel locations. Might make a bracket to fit one under the seat nose above the Tupperware.

Ian

stevew
Rides:: MaxSym 400i (2013) Wave110i (2014)

Post by stevew » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:32 pm

orcadian wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 pm
Great, thanks for that,
There are lots to choose from, some with filler tube included - that's the way forward - I can't imagine needing more than that, we will not be 'out in the sticks' much and my little Garmin 60csx give fuel locations. Might make a bracket to fit one under the seat nose above the Tupperware.

Ian
Ready made brackets are available from ZEN overland, nice but not cheap ;)
Got my 1/5L Fuel Friends bottles and mounting brackets from him but the brackets are not on the web site any more.
Think the brackets were about £27.
Give them a call cos they are a really helpful company.

orcadian

Post by orcadian » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:46 pm

That's a great site - many thanks for that. Perhaps 1.5 litres should get me 25 miles most times and that should be no problem. These Altura panniers which I used on LeJog by recumbent pedal trike seem a simple fix and are waterproof and have reflective covers too. Easy to adapt to throwover and with a simple guard frame to keep them away from harm will do the job.

Ian

nic
Rides:: c90 and triumph street triple

Post by nic » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:28 pm

I have a cheap option for carrying fuel - a 1 litre plastic oil container with the top cut off cable tied to the inside of my rack between the rack and wheel. I then have a 1 litre fuel mate cable tied inside it. I carry a leatherman to cut it out and more cable ties to fasten it back in.

I can't put a photo up because I don't know how,

Previously I put the fuel mate in the top box but it made my food smell.

I have thought about an auxiliary tank because I want to do an Iron Butt ride but it is still in the planning stages and I don't think it is necessary unless it is for serious miles with very quick stops.

We have just done the national rally - 540 miles in 18 hours - we carried 10 litres of fuel each and had them filled up at the half way mark at a checkpoint.

Just enjoy.

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:29 am

wightegi wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:02 pm
2 litres should get you about 40 miles ,there are a lot of 2l cans around but a lot need a funnel to fill some have wide mouths ,check fuel friend on ebay.
I'd be thinking more like 55 to 60 miles for a 2 litre can.
I get around 136 mpg on Tojo.

orcadian

Post by orcadian » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:43 am

I think we'll be happy with a separate reserve supply of about 30 miles (each) on our trip - we'll be avoiding the Sahara on our trip to Deutschland (unless the GPS throws a wobbler :D). Not sure how accurate the fuel gauges are on these 90's - the 50LAC doesn't have one of course but we have time to see how they behave.
I'm more exited about this trip than any other in the past - even the North Cape of Norway on the 'Wing - wonder if I'll ever grow up?

Ian

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:15 pm

orcadian wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:43 am
wonder if I'll ever grow up?
You're on a forum that adults use to converse about small motorcycles, designed for shopping.

It's doubtful, very doubtful. 8-)