crunchie challenge...

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
jammy james
Member formerly known as james cub
Rides:: 1989 Honda 90 cub (elec start!)1988 honda cub. 2010 Suzuki fl 125 address+

crunchie challenge...

Post by jammy james » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Right to cut a long story short, fellow cubber Neil or nut to some and thoroughly nice chap and I are having a race or lets say testing! (as thats not illegal) nut rides (what appears to be a right ol bag of nails) of a c70...but aha underneath it is a 125cc ,bored out a little with many different bits of this and that, nut is looking for that magic balance of speed versus reliability...One of my current steads is a rather splendid suzy fl125 address (bike with the silly name yes) OOOH its speedy has proper brakes/suspension and tops 140+ mpg on my commute...Nut is keen to test his bitza against a modern step through(i could take my c90...but it ain't modern and would be left for dead but nuts magnificent flying machine) Saturday morning 24/6/2017 at 9am M48 severn view services j1 nut and i meet over a coffee.......(nut thinks we need around 50 miles for a fair test) we are (not) racing 27 miles west along the m48/m4 to j30 turning around and (not) racing back to the services...fora coffee etc one of us will win out on speed(the first one back!) and one on mpg or both! at the same time?! :lol: I've left my bike bog stock standard gearing and all.Any peeps welcome to join or watch, severn view services has a grate spot you can see over the bridge so you could watch us leave and return! Ride up around the barrier if its down and up the footpath to get right up the view point...I think it will be a close one, nuts bike is quick!

here's nuts bike in his own words.. I’m not sure how much you know about Scruffs engine, but basically it’s a Lifan 125 with a 57mm big bore kit fitted (making it around 142cc), a ported Wuyang cylinder head, a Z40 cam, a Heinz 57 22mm Chinese pit bike carb, and breaths through the original C70 air filter via the frame (busting the myth they are too restrictive).

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Re: crunchie challange...

Post by barker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:33 pm

you should win for one reason nuts bike will run out of petrol before he completes the race[] journy

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:05 pm

barker wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:33 pm
you should win for one reason nuts bike will run out of petrol before he completes the race[] journy
27 miles, there and back = 54 miles on one tankful is do-able. That's why they picked that sort of distance.

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Post by barker » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:14 am

what flat out.remember its a 140 that's been breathed on

Neil-Cheltenham
Rides:: Honda, C70, Honda Cub 90, Suzuki LS650. Harley Davidson XLH1200

Post by Neil-Cheltenham » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Well, we will find out tomorrow ;) But I’ve always kept an eye on practicality, so Scruff isn’t all that thirsty and only runs a 22mm carb. If Scruff was quicker than the Address, then I was going to follow James until close to the end to have a stab at the fuel economy trophy too, but It seems as if most peeps would prefer I just run WOT for a true idea of speed, resultant fuel economy and to see if Scruff can actually run WOT for 54 miles without the Chinese components suffering a catastrophic failure :o lol.

Bogger
Maintenance Stasi
Rides:: 3 x C90,BMW R1200st, BMW R80RT, Honda Mode , Super Cub C125A, Yamaha Majesty 250

Post by Bogger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:07 pm

My money is on Jammy James to win both the speed and fuel economy titles.

Bogger

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 am

Well Jammy is the size of a jockey and it's not a handicap race (at least not in the same way as horses; mentally however..... :D )

I do think he will win on the economy stakes, Nut's reputation hangs on reliability and speed so hopefully his motor will hold together for the duration, if it does he will win on speed.

Who's running the book?

Neil-Cheltenham
Rides:: Honda, C70, Honda Cub 90, Suzuki LS650. Harley Davidson XLH1200

Post by Neil-Cheltenham » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:35 pm

What a lovely day for racing. Setting off from home, I couldn't think of nicer weather for the event, the sun shining and a breeze to keep both Scruff and I cool for the journey down to Severn View. Out on the M5 heading south, I began to wonder if my decision to go higher on Scruffs gearing was such a great idea, as the Northerly wind was pushing back against Scruff and I, bringing our speed down to a sedate but pleasant 60mph. Sooner than expected Scruff gave a cough and died until I shut the throttle and turned the fuel tap to reserve, Scruff burst back into life and we continued our way without incident for almost 5 minutes, until Scruff once again complained of thirst and died. Bloody Hell I thought, that fuel didn't last long, and I began to wonder if the forum member who didn’t think Scruff could make it 54 miles on a tank full, might be right! Shutting the throttle counting to three and opening it again, restored life to the engine and with relief I saw the Gloucester Services sign and pulled off to refuel. On removing the fuel cap, I could see that Scruff still had some fuel, shrugging my shoulders, I filled the tank anyway, and we were on our way once again. Before long the same thing happened again, having experienced a similar thing with Big Mig, I felt sure that the cause was the increased fuel consumption, resulting from some recent tuning, that now exceeded the rate of supply from the tank. Uuum I thought; might need to add a fuel pump, and continued, occasionally having to shut the throttle for the count of three to allow the fuel supply to catch up. Pulling into the Severn View Services, I spied Jammy James just ahead and sped up to say hello. Hands were shaken, coffees drunk and I ate a Croissant (i’m posh like that). The minute hand of my watch soon reminded me it was 9.00 and time to commence our race. First stop was the fuel station to fill both bikes to the brim and then with words of encouragement we headed for the motorway and across the bridge where the wind tried to blow us into the Severn. I soon realised Scruff had an advantage in terms of speed over our opponent, and so we settled down to following Jammy James and his steed in order to conserve fuel and have some company. Jammy James had an amusing method of encouraging further speed from his steed, by whipping the hind quarters of his bike as if he were a jockey upon his horse, this brought a smile to the various lorry drivers we slowly passed. 27 miles from our start point we took Junction 30, turned and returned towards the start. This was it, it was now or never, as I got tangled in traffic Jammy James tucked in behind his screen and headed into the distance. Gunning Scruff, I soon realised that although we were gaining on Jammy James it was certainly not at the rate that the legend of Scruff was built on. This could only mean one thing, it was time to adopt the racing position, shifting my bum back on the seat I lowered my head until my nose was level with the handlebars and together (it’s better that way) Scruff and I surged ahead. In no time at all we were alongside Jammy James, and I adopted I normal riding position, not wishing to give away the struggle we had had to catch up. A clear road ahead I headed for the bridge with the only break to the routine being the regular shutting, counting and opening of the throttle to restore life to Scruffs thirsty engine. Back at the services I filled with fuel and made a note of the fuel consumed. As I headed off to pay, Jammy James arrived having got lost in the services lol. Comparing fuel consumption figures, it was clear that Jammy James and his worthy steed had won the fuel challenge with 93 miles per gallon compared to our poultry 83, so it was one all, the best end to any race. We headed to the viewing point, consuming our winners rewards of bottles of Coca Cola which strangely have names on countries on, I chose Bangkok, not sure why really, probably just because a name with both Bang and Cock in it makes me giggle like a naughty kid. All too soon it was time to stopping admiring the view of the bridges and the Severn, say our good bye’s and head for home. Scruff at this point decided he no longer had a fuelling issue and took off like a bullet towards Cheltenham. I can only put this down to the behaviours of a horse who reluctantly carries its owner on a ride that the horse didn’t really want to do, stopping to chew on grass at every opportunity, until it see’s home and then becomes a race horse. Entertaining a few car loads who would drew alongside to take videos of the tatty Honda C70 now with the benefit of the following wind, travelling at 70mph, we zipped long eating up the miles. One particularly enthusiastic family encouraged me to once again adopt the racing pose and with nose resting on the speedometer as if pushing the needle round might help, Scruff and I soared to a lofty 76 mph. The family waved cheered and filmed until they took the slip road and we waved our goodbyes. Back in Cheltenham I chugged along amongst the shopping traffic in need of a wee. Minutes later I was home and hugging my wife Cheri and declaring that Scruffs honour was intact. What a great day, a great big thanks to Jammy James and his steed for a great race and congratulations on your impressive fuel consumption win. Right then who’s next to step up to the mark lol. Oh bogger, ye of little faith hehe

jammy james
Member formerly known as james cub
Rides:: 1989 Honda 90 cub (elec start!)1988 honda cub. 2010 Suzuki fl 125 address+

Post by jammy james » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Well the big day dawned, i looked out me window to see wet roads!! :O My race prep consisted of me polishing the address to within an inch of its life! XD the day before, sod it we hit the road to severn view services, arrived at exactly the same time as nut! We went in and he got me an overpriced hot drink, we then went out and topped up our tanks(ady don't look at the price! o.O ) luckily only needed 2.5 litres. Nut was worried about running out of fuel so it became tactical! We headed out with nut following into a strong headwind, my plan was to go out not flat out but come back full blat helped by strong tailwind. At times even with throttle wide open and me hid behind the screen the wind has us down to 50mph a few times, struggling to do much more than 60 at others. Made it to junc 30 some 27 miles from our start point/ here i thought i'll try and lose nut, shot out in between the cars and flew around the roundabout and back down onto the m4 over 70mph showing on the clock helped by downhill stretch and tail wind.I only managed several miles and nut flew past/game on , throttle pinned all i could do was keep him in sight in the distance...nut was prob about 60/90 secs in front when we got back to the services. topped back up with fuel WOW my address( usually 140+ on my commute) down to 93mpg!! o.O and nuts 83mpg which i thought good plus his bike a touch quicker than mine! I got the drinks in and we had some pics up at the view point.....next challenger????? Ps still recovering from the fuel prices we paid.. :blue:

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Well done lads, now who's got my winnings?