Aldershot to Scotland

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
r80rob
Rides:: 73 c70 with c90 110, 72 MZ es250 and a r80!

Re: Aldershot to Scotland

Post by r80rob » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:28 am

Brilliant stuff , making me jealous, I'd love to get back up to Scotland on the c70 , enjoy yourself.
Looking forward to seeing some more photos and updates :mrgreen:

Taxiboy42
Rides:: Honda Innova, Suzuki VanVan

Post by Taxiboy42 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:59 am

Ok so since I last posted, I have travelled from Dingwall up to Durness. I followed the road to Tongue and turned off before following the road to Hope. It was a lovely ride round and through the valley by Ben Hope. Reaching Durness felt like a milestone and an achievement. The next day I rode down to Gruinard Bay and had my first midge attack experience. No bother though as midge net at the ready. From there, yesterday, I did the ultimate cub riding achievement in my book and took the Innova to Applecross and over the Pass of the Cattle. It wasn't so hard to be honest. Very foggy at the top so I had to be careful but no dramas. I have some nice photos on my iPhone so when I get to a wifi spot I will post a few in case anyone is interested. I stopped last night at Reraig, just outside of the Isle of Skye and today I go onto the island. I'm currently sat in a cafe called Hectors Bothy at the Kyle of Lochlaish. They just saved my life as my iPhone dropped too low on battery and needed an iPhone charger boost to jump start it. Lovely people and thank you.
I will post back soon of more progress and hope I spark a few nice memories for some with this trip. So many people have come up to me and asked if it was a c90 or similar and so many people seem to have nice memories of the C90. Once I move and get a garage or a nice big shed, I too will be buying and older cub and maybe do this all again.
Till the next update, ride safe

Tulipbush
Rides:: Innova

Post by Tulipbush » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:45 pm

Which model airhawk did you opt for? :D

ally
Rides:: forza 300 v90, v75a, c90-g, fj1200, CG125ES, cb250, ybr250

Post by ally » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:29 pm

fantastic stuff, I'm trying to convince my son to do something similar, no joy yet

:)

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:26 pm

Diesel Dave wrote:
barker wrote:hows your arse
I guess this is one of the only forums in the world where this question is understood in a non-sexual manner. :D :D :D :lol: :o :shock:
Until you pointed it out. :roll:

Ventura
Rides:: '91 C90, '73 ST70 & Z50, '76 TL125, '80 Bultaco 250, '16 Yam XSR900,

Post by Ventura » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Great to meet up with you today in Kyle of Lochalsh Taxiboy42!!
And to hear of your adventures so far :)

Be sure to let us know if you do get a C90 in future as I'm sure there'll be a place in the Plop Enduro for you!
Enjoy the rest of your journey, and hope the midges aren't bothering you too much!! :)

V.

Taxiboy42

Post by Taxiboy42 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Tulipbush wrote:Which model airhawk did you opt for? :D
I went for the airhawk 2. I think it was a medium one. I originally purchased it for a tour of Cornwall on a PCX last year but it fits the innova really well. It has a rubber base on it so no need to use the elasticated straps it comes with. I have to say it is nothing short of amazing in the comfor levels that it provides.
Hope that's helps

Taxiboy42

Post by Taxiboy42 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:47 pm

Ventura wrote:Great to meet up with you today in Kyle of Lochalsh Taxiboy42!!
And to hear of your adventures so far :)

Be sure to let us know if you do get a C90 in future as I'm sure there'll be a place in the Plop Enduro for you!
Enjoy the rest of your journey, and hope the midges aren't bothering you too much!! :)

V.
Hi Ventura. It was great to chat to you all too. I had a nice day on Skye. I took the east coast road up to Storr and went through the Quiraing pass and down to Uig. I then headed off towards Dunvegan but to be honest, I got half way and saw all of the weather coming in. The grey clouds looked well angry so I headed off the island and I'm currently sat in a hotel at Loch Duich nursing a pint of Guinnesa before I head for the campsite for the night. Tomorrow I think I'm going to go through Glencoe and head for Loch Lomond, have a good nights sleep and head for home which will probably be a two day affair.
If and when I get a C90 (it's a matter of time) I would love to participate in the enduro.
Thanks again for the chat, it's always nice to chat with like minded people on the cub subject.

Tulipbush
Rides:: Innova

Post by Tulipbush » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Nearly crashed my car today when I turned my head........as it must have been you going in the other direction......north Sheffield going through Wadsleybridge towards Sheffield Wednesday football ground A61? I saw you before the railway bridge and roundabout.

I only got a quick glance, but noticed it was an innova with luggage and the additional lights.

Was it you?

Taxiboy42

Post by Taxiboy42 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:56 am

Sorry for the slow reply tulipbush. Yes it was me going through Sheffield. I managed to go past both football grounds before heading down the Dronfield bypass and onto Chesterfield then Derby. The total mileage for the tour was 1932. That day was a long one at 341 miles from Barnard Castle to home in Aldershot. I was watching the weather radar closely and tracking cross country to avoid the rain as best I could. If you want to see some YouTube videos my name on there is Scootyman. There is a couple of the bike loaded up with a quick review and one of me going over the Bealach na Ba or Pass of the Cattle at Applecross. You'll have to excuse the others of me messing about and having a little fun on the tour. Talking to cows must be a sign of Cub madness! ;)
I've just taken my VanVan to Weymouth for the weekend and I have to say with half the luggage it doesn't pull as well as the Innova on the hills and the fuel consumption seems way higher. I'm thinking I made the right choice of bike for Scotland overall.
All good fun and planning the next one now. I'm thinking across the Pyrenees and home through France or maybe down the west side of Africa through Western Sahara. Maybe that ones a bit ambitious looking at the state if the world right now.