Aldershot to Scotland

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Taxiboy42
Rides:: Honda Innova, Suzuki VanVan

Aldershot to Scotland

Post by Taxiboy42 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:20 am

Hello all,
Just thought I'd share a quick post on the journey I have been doing. Over the past two days I have travelled to Scotland from Aldershot, Hampshire on my innova. I set off on Saturday around lunchtime and checked in to Halifax around 22:00. I went straight across the Peak District which was a great place to take the bike for some scenery. I didn't think that could be easily topped until yesterday, I rode from Halifax to Edinburgh. Again I cut straight across the Yorkshire dales, over Wipperdale through the ranges and over the Pennines. I then took the A68 and managed 72mph (speedo) with all my gear on board which I was well impressed with considering how loaded up I'm travelling. I finally crossed the border, fish and chips in Jedburgh and finally stopped around 20:00 last night in Edinburgh. Today I continue my tour right around the Scottish Highlands stopping this evening in the Cairngorms.
I was planning this journey on a Suzuki VanVan but if I'm honest I'm really glad I took the innova. I don't think the VV would have taken to the hills so well as the rear tyre is so fat it saps the energy at the slightest incline. The innova has pulled like a train! It only had 304 miles on the clock when i started and now with over 750 it feels properly run in. I'm averaging 110 miles to a tank of fuel and that's running it dry. I weigh 18 stone though and with luggage, I thought that alright considering I'm throttling it for long periods. I did put a slightly cooler plug in which I think has probably helped a little (cpr7ea9)
All in all, a grand performance so far from the little cub and it must be having a better life than when it was strapped to the back of a motor home for the past four years. Besides, if you were an innova, would you rather tour Scotland or deliver pizzas?? :D
All good

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Re: Aldershot to Scotland

Post by barker » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:01 pm

hows your arse

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Well done Taxiboy.

Taxiboy42

Post by Taxiboy42 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:14 pm

barker wrote:hows your arse
My arse is fine thanks, how's yours? :P I got an airhawk seat pad and it's lovely. I've been riding on average around 8-10 hours a day so far and no pain whatsoever. Definitely worth investing in if you don't have one. It's THE best piece of equipment I have purchased in years.

I made it to the Cairngorms today. What a beautiful place to ride. Everyone wants to chat to me rather than the BMW boys :) tomorrow I head to Loch Ness and stop over night in Dingwall. All good fun!

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:22 pm

barker wrote:hows your arse
I guess this is one of the only forums in the world where this question is understood in a non-sexual manner. :D :D :D :lol: :o :shock:

Moretti_italia

Post by Moretti_italia » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:17 pm

Hello All,

This evening i struck up a conversation with a motor-cyclist at a petrol station in Braemar with his carefully packed c90. During the conversation he mentioned this forum and that he posts here - take a bow, Taxiboy42. Several hours later and at a loose end I find myself having a look around here!

The weather and scenery were spectacular today on the road from Perth to Braemar, however the day was further inspired by meeting this guy on his C90 having just driven up there from the South of England! It was great to hear that the c90 covered the distances so comfortably well. I'm a former Vespa guy who's always been drawn to these type of long distance, romantic ventures. Liberation exists in recognising that great memories can be created by getting out there and on the bike, no matter how powerful, how new or how specific it has been matched to the journey in hand. Taxiboy, i applaud your efforts, loved your story and I'm glad that your journey sounds like you have reaped many rewards from it already. I'll look forward to hopefully reading some more about your tour.

All the best to you.

Diddly
Rides:: Honda ANF125 Innova;

Post by Diddly » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:58 am

Very underated these Innovas are-I'm biased of course as I own one :D . I know many of the roads you covered especially the Scottish Border at Carter Bar-was the Piper playing for the bus loads of Asian tourists?
Keep it up and keep an eye on the oil level daily if not more.

Regards, Diddly

Taxiboy42

Post by Taxiboy42 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:59 pm

It's funny you should mention the oil level. I am using a bit of oil daily. I'm thinking that I need to top up tomorrow. I've been flogging the poor girl for days and still she pulls on. Some of those mountain roads you go up in first gear they are so steep but still she plugs on! Today I went across from the Cairngorms to Dingwall via Loch Ness and Fort Augustus. I cut across to Beuly and onto Dingwall. The weather was great till just after lunch and then I got soaked. It eased as I pulled into Dingwall and the campsite is wonderful with heated shower room and get this, £6.55 per night! I have to work out a way to dry my clothes but I reckon the hand drier looks fair game for a bit of a long session lol.

Morreti italia- it was lovely chatting to you yesterday. I should have pointed out that my bike was a Honda Innova, one of the models that followed the C90 but I believe considered to be the same family. I'm a bit OCD with my luggage and packing but it works. Every fuel stop is easy as the rock straps I use all hold a particular piece of luggage and all link together to make it seamless and safe. That afternoon ride to Glenmore was great and I think we were blessed with the sunshine. I had a moment today when I thought that maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew with this tour. I was cold and wet and thought about how far back home was but tonight I checked the forum to see you had posted and I must say that it lifted my damp spirits. It's only a bit of water after all so, in the morning I leave early and push on to Durness before I start to work down the coast and head for Skye a few days later.
Thanks again for the chat. It was nice that you took the time to come across and share a few moments to talk bikes.

Taxiboy42

Post by Taxiboy42 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:09 pm

A picture of my innova at the top of a mountain in the Cairngorms before I headed down to Aviemore. Luggage looking neat! ;)

Tulipbush
Rides:: Innova

Post by Tulipbush » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:58 am

Can't help but admire the little innova....love mine. On longer rides I've been using some spare vetbed rolled up which I nicked from my dogs bed. Which model airhawk did you opt for?