John o groats to lands end in under 24 hrs

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Re: John o groats to lands end in under 24 hrs

Post by knapdog » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:56 pm

.....but we haven't heard anything regarding the sub 24hr trip since April. Is it still on?

barker
Rides:: t80 honda90 nexus honda xr honda sh loncinyamaha vigaro 53suzukiaddress5

Post by barker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:58 pm

is there a record for lands end to john O'Groats ifso what's the difference in time from john O'Groats to lands end

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:30 pm

johnr wrote:i had considered this problem with riding a bike and refueling from pannier tanks. bearing in mind i was planning to do a trip like this on an innova that had a fuel gauge, and the solution i came up with was to drill two small holes in the top of the pannier tank, into one, braise a length of tube that goes right down to the bottom of the tank, and in the other braise a short piece in that just extends an inch or so either side. then, onto the one that goes to the bottom, take a length of petrol pipe that will go into your existing tank, that will be used as the refueller, then, the other pipe, put a length of rubber tube onto it with a small hand operated bulb pump, like the sort of thing a dr uses to pump the armband up when taking your blood pressure. fit this bulb pump somewhere accessible, on the handlebar or perhaps on the seat side where you can safely get to it with your left hand whilst driving fill the pannier tanks with fuel and ride till the fuel gauge shows empty, start puping air into the jerry can, the air pressure will force the petrol out of the long tube and into your main tank, when the gauge shows full, press the button on the pump releasing the pressure and stopping the flow. hey presto, with 2 5 gallon panniers you could ride for a couple of thousand miles without stopping!! (ive actually got 2 10 litre aluminium jerrys that are sold as accessories to cossack and ural motorbikes, so with a pair of them plus the standard tank you could probably just about do le-jog in one hit)
I'm sorry my friend, but a block of text like this is simply unreadable.

You need to set it out in simple statements.

Otherwise I simply glaze over.

Much love, Newt.

Capitano
Rides:: '92 C90, '97 Divvy 6, 36V home-built e-bike

Post by Capitano » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:42 pm

johnr wrote: Edited by Capitano

I had considered this problem with riding a bike and refuelling from pannier tanks,bearing in mind I was planning to do a trip like this on an Innova that had a fuel gauge.

The solution I came up with was to drill two small holes in the top of the pannier tank. Into one, braze a length of tube that goes right down to the bottom of the tank, and in the other braze a short piece in that just extends an inch or so either side.

Onto the one that goes to the bottom, take a length of petrol pipe that will go into your existing tank, that will be used as the refueller. With the other pipe, put a length of rubber tube onto it with a small hand operated bulb pump, like the sort of thing a doctor uses to pump the armband up when taking your blood pressure.

Fit this bulb pump somewhere accessible, on the handlebar or perhaps on the seat side where you can safely get to it with your left hand whilst driving.Fill the pannier tanks with fuel and ride until the fuel gauge shows empty. Start pumping air into the jerry can. The air pressure will force the petrol out of the long tube and into your main tank.

When the gauge shows full, press the button on the pump releasing the pressure and stopping the flow. Hey presto, with two 5 gallon panniers you could ride for a couple of thousand miles without stopping!!

I have got two 10 litre aluminium jerrys that are sold as accessories to Cossack and Ural motorbikes. With those plus the standard tank you could probably just about do le-jog in one hit.
Better? 8-)

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Much! :lol:

johnr

Post by johnr » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:36 pm

erm, my phone doesnt give the option of spacing it out. as soon as you put a space in, when you drop to the next line it just pushes the words together again.
but point taken. on the laptop now.
dont try and comment on an existing thread.
have fun with my spelling and punctuation whilst youre at it.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:30 pm

johnr wrote:erm, my phone doesnt give the option of spacing it out. as soon as you put a space in, when you drop to the next line it just pushes the words together again.
but point taken. on the laptop now.
dont try and comment on an existing thread.
have fun with my spelling and punctuation whilst youre at it.
If you are going to get a sad on about my comments, you prolly ought to be on a VW forum. :P :P :P :P

johnr

Post by johnr » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:48 pm

a sad on? nah, i just thought you had no reason to be an arsehole about it. clearly you did.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:21 am

johnr wrote:have fun with my spelling and punctuation whilst youre at it.
Pit bike forums for you then, at least the Vee Dubbers can spell.

Oh, and if you call anyone else but me an arsehole, you're gone. OK? :twisted:

BenB
The Byway Bad Boy!
Rides:: C90E gold, MSX125 and CRF1000 Africa Twin

Post by BenB » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:11 pm

Newt,

What about if I call you an arsehole? Would you still make me cups of tea and bacon sarnies?

I think that JohnR guy needs to lighten up. You just pointed out a minor shortcoming. You were trying to do him a favour. I think you did the right thing. Like you always do. :shock:

Clearly if JohnR made me bacon sarnies, cups of tea and told me how good I looked (which you never do), I'd favour him. Then I'd be berating you and telling you that you need to apologise. :D