First Ride of the Cub

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Dylan
Rides:: C90G 1987

First Ride of the Cub

Post by Dylan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:04 am

Had my first proper run on my new C90 today and loved it :D
I've not ridden a bike since having a motorcycle accident back in 2003. Long story short, I ended up with a paralysed left arm, so obviously thought my biking days were over. As you all know, bikes never leave your blood though and recently after reading about a guy using a C90 for riding green lanes, it got me reminiscing about my C90 I was given when I was 13.
Once I get an idea in my head, I won't be swayed and I remembered all controls I need are on the right hand side, so wondered if I could actually ride one still!

So I decided to buy one and if I couldn't really ride it, I could restore it as a project so either way it's win win :)

And here we are, yes I can ride it, yes I love it and I'm so pleased I bought it. Did around 90 miles yesterday in this great weather, sticking mainly to country roads with the aim of just getting used to he bike, or a bike again without worrying about pressure from car drivers. Couldn't manage to get her over 50, but that maybe down to the wind I guess, but the bike ran faultlessly and really was a pleasure to ride.

It will be interesting to see how I get on with the maintenance one handed, but I usually manage! First thing I plan to do is fit new tyres as the rear, although has plenty of tread, shows signs of slight cracking and its some Indonesian thing.

So that's my brief story, a new C90 owner, although it's my second in reality, and a new biker in a kind of way :)

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Re: First Ride of the Cub

Post by knapdog » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:31 am

Brilliant write up. I was smiling for the whole read. Fantastic. Enjoy.

spikeyboy60
Jehova Empress
Rides:: 1975 RD200A-2018 Kawasaki X 300-1973 C70 1982 C90C 1982 Camino

Post by spikeyboy60 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:34 am

50 is about all you'll get from a standard 90 :D :D :D :D

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:45 am

That's wonderful. :D I bet you're just loving being back on the road, the freedom, that 'go anywhere' feeling. :D
Now you'll just have to join in on one of our bimbles and even one of the many weekend events and meet us other crazy C90 people. :lol:

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:31 am

Welcome to the club; a nice intro too.

I've been told off for riding one handed, might have been because I was carrying a large stuffed tiger at the time........

If you need a right handed horn button then an electric start lower cluster for the RH side may be a good option.

Dylan
Rides:: C90G 1987

Post by Dylan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:40 pm

knapdog wrote:Brilliant write up. I was smiling for the whole read. Fantastic. Enjoy.
spikeyboy60 wrote:50 is about all you'll get from a standard 90 :D :D :D :D
I thought I had read on here 55mph was top end. Maybe I was expecting too much :)
Leiba wrote:That's wonderful. :D I bet you're just loving being back on the road, the freedom, that 'go anywhere' feeling. :D
Now you'll just have to join in on one of our bimbles and even one of the many weekend events and meet us other crazy C90 people. :lol:
I really am loving it. I have missed having a big smile under the helmet :D

I will definitely be up for a bimble and meeting fellow owners sometime.
Diesel Dave wrote:Welcome to the club; a nice intro too.

I've been told off for riding one handed, might have been because I was carrying a large stuffed tiger at the time........

If you need a right handed horn button then an electric start lower cluster for the RH side may be a good option.
Thanks for the welcome.

A horn on the right would certainly be useful, but it's not a deal breaker and the fact I would have no idea how to swap it over, I will go without :)

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:07 pm

We can certainly show you how to do a horn swap over - the forum is all about helping each other.