Four old Fogeys "End to End"

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Re: Four old Fogeys "End to End"

Post by knapdog » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:41 am

Newtsalad wrote:Well done chaps. Hope you all have happy memories of the event.

A tale to dine out on for years to come. :D
Cheers Jim
We thank you for those kind words and never forgetting your donation to the cause.
We collected £500 from people on the road. By the time the paper form donations are added on we'll have over £2000.
The cubs were faultless on the journey. All they needed was a chain adjustment and a small oil top up.
Thank you

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:40 pm

BTW, "Tojo" consistently achieved in the region of 135 mpg over the 1068 miles.
I've drilled "the hole" in the filler neck to increase capacity and was often getting close to 125 miles tank range.
Billyfix used to run out of petrol at 3.00 p.m.
The fox's carbs needed a bit of tweaking and his range was about 95 miles.
Libby, again, had very good fuel consumption of around the 125 mpg mark.
We never thrashed them.
As we stuck mainly to B and minor roads, we were happy tootling along at 30 to 35 mph though I did hit 50 mph briefly on a downhill stretch once before easing off again.
There were a number of steep hills where we needed to drop down into first with the fox doing his infamous wheelie on Kirkstone Pass, though we all had a bit of a "lifter" that day, dropping down.
My ride was perfect for me with 30lbs/sq. in on the front and 40 on the back.
Plus, I'll say it again, the four bikes remained trouble free throughout.

knapdog

Post by knapdog » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:08 pm

You may recall that at one stage, just before we set off to John O'Groats, billyfix wasn't feeling well and he didn't think he'd be able to make the trip. In fact he had dropped out but felt well enough just two days before we went. Well I've just come back from my SE Asia trip (hope you've been following the cub snaps I took), only to find that while I was away, he had a heart attack.
He was rushed into hospital and had two stents put in and a pacemaker.
He is making steady progress but is naturally feeling a bit on the weak side. His sense of humour hasn't deserted him, particularly since he now has to put up with us calling him GERRY (well he had to be one of the "Pacemakers ", didn't he.)
He doesn't yet know that I'm informing fellow members and I can't be sure he'll be wonderfully happy as he's not the type to want any fuss, but you showed so much interest in our "Fogeys" trip (and many of you contributed to our charity) that I felt you, the cub "family" would want to know.
We all wish him a very speedy recovery as he's going to need to be fit for the Four Old Fogeys trip next year, wherever that will be.

Left to right: knapdog, billyfix, libby and the fox.

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Get well soon 'Gerry'. :D