What's the most useful item you have taken on a trip.

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Moo.
Rides:: CT90K4 1972

Re: What's the most useful item you have taken on a trip.

Post by Moo. » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:37 pm

BenB wrote:
Maybe these issues could have been noticed before our trip, but when the exhaust is otherwise in good nick and not blowing, how many of us would assume it's on the way out soon? My point is to make sure that, despite it looking ok and not blowing, exhausts are scrutinised.
Sadly i've fallen foul of this.

Had an exhaust that look epic, still shiny, no rust, just a bit of discolouration around the header.. Next thing i know its seperated :shock: and making a horrible racket! :( gutted as it was an original honda one.. Still tempted to weld the can back onto a header as it looks great!

Diesel Dave
Rides:: 1965 Enfield Diesel, 2017 Sterling, Modenas Kriss and CT200 - the only Cub left

Post by Diesel Dave » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:42 pm

I'm still convinced exhaust snap at the headers because of over-stressing when fitting.

You must ensure that the spacer is present on the swing arm before the mounting plate is fitted.

Also the exhaust to mounting plate nuts should be loose when tightening the header nuts (the front one is a real pain to tighten afterwards too).

The mounting plate is very strong but does get bent when the bike is dropped on the exhaust side, this then puts strain on the exhaust header when a new pipe is fitted.

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:02 pm

Bent?
The young lad in the local bike shop decided to bend this back out as it was a problem getting the back wheel off. The result? Sounding like a machine gun going down the A10 when it blew a few weeks later.

ericry
Rides:: Honda CX's, Buell XB12, BMW R80/7, Beta Alp 200

Post by ericry » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Cant put an old head on young shoulders ! Hope he learned from this - some of them never learn !!

Eric.

Leiba

Post by Leiba » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:39 pm

ericry wrote:Cant put an old head on young shoulders ! Hope he learned from this - some of them never learn !!

Eric.
Nope, he was totally unaware of what happened later. I had to go to a different (nearer) shop to have a new exhaust fitted. When I told the first shop what had happened they washed their hands of it. :evil: Annoying as I'd told the lad to be careful as I was fully aware of what could happen. Jeez, I could have bent it out myself if I'd wanted to.

Blackcountry Pete
Rides:: The clown bike, Burgman400,SH300,STD 50 Cubra

Post by Blackcountry Pete » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:50 pm

Breakdown cover,bank card (go online and tell your bank which countries your traveling through just incase they stop your card) and have enough money in your account to get you home if all else fails. Take out travel insurance and be sure to tell them your riding a motorcycle( could be classed as a dangerous activity and not covered on some policies) a good curry pot and dont bother taking BOGGER he will leave at the drop of a hat. :cry:

Saltysnax

Post by Saltysnax » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:56 pm

The bike and after that, bog roll. As well as the obvious, it wipes visors & lights & mirrors, wipe blemishes off the 90, blows noses, stops bleeding, blocks ears, wipes up spilt beer in tent, wipes cooking pans, wipes oily fingers, wedged into rattly bits it stops rattles, slows oil leaks, you can chew it if hungry, use for kindling for fires. It's so obvious it's easy to forget and you never know if the next shop up the road has run out.

Leiba

Post by Leiba » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:34 am

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Presumably for use as a funnel for oil and petrol.

Leiba

Post by Leiba » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:57 pm

Ummmmm :roll: Not for me. :oops: