Boudu in the Big City

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
passengerpidgin

Boudu in the Big City

Post by passengerpidgin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi All. Thought I'd tell of my latest cubbing adventure, the first real test for my rebuilt river dweller. Quite off the cuff I arranged to visit my pal in Walthamstow, East London! After a quite regulation friday night, including a trip over the Hereford to watch us get beat 4-1 by Swindon Town, I packed my bag, prepared my flask, and prepared to embark on an overnight run, leaving at midnight.

I'd decided to carve out the strangest possibly midnight route I could find. SO rather than heading out on the A44 all the way, or othersuch boredoms I set off down a little one track lane aghast at the lack of signs pointing to 'LONDON 150miles'! Heading through such little places of arcane wonder such as Risbury, Pencombe, Bosbury etc at the witching hour, quite spectacular, invisible and the landscape menacing, with illuminated moths providing an incredible fireworks display , interstellar travel!
Made my first tea stop in Tewkesbury, about 2-3 am, shared my baccy with some local chavs who hid in an alleyway everytime a car approached with shouts of 'the old bill!!'. Tewkesbury was to be my location for at least another half hour however as finding 'my way' out of there took about 3 very lengthy sorties before I finally found the right road.
Next up into the Cotswolds, through the woods and now heavy rain, I see a sign for Bourton-on-the-water. A mere 20 mile diversion, irresistable. Growing up in Walsall in the black country, we had gone on a school trip once to this ridiculously idyllic little village and it'd comprehensively blown my mind, having previously thought of Willenhall as the picturesque English idyll. Returning there at quarter to 4 in the morning. Quite incredible, Like a conqueror, Emporer by night. The whole town existing solely for the pleasure of me and a Heron who stood just metres away from me, quite unpeturbed, moving silently through the stream like a phantom. Took a pee down a nice cobbled lane, another rolly and refuel and I headed off, the sun having risen in the meantime. Set off in search of the A40 and the real world inhabited by menfolk. No more suprises I thought, just as I suddenly found that the A40 had become the M40 without even a hint!! Now I'm off the L's but the idea of going on a motorway still absolutely terrified me but there I was, with my little Edelweiss, half a pint of milk and some tea bags strapped to the back of my steed, now being overtook approx every 1.4 seconds, till I found my way off at High Wycombe. An impatient overtaking manouever sees my beautiful Alpine flower sent flying into the bonnet of a very confused Ford Mondeo, though I only realise the absence near Ealing!
Eventually made my way into the flyovers and 'STAY IN LANE' roads approaching Central London. A taste of things to come as a giant 4x4 suddenly somehow squeezes up next to me in a cue. I give him evils. Little did I know about driving in London! After diverting myself across most of the wrong bit of North London, I finally find my way to Walthamstow. A devil of a pothole sends my fuel tank flying through the air going over the hackney marshes, had to do a quarter of a mile u-turn to find some funny foreign guy wearing sunglasses walking up the pavement sniffing my petrol, however he turns saint (possibly the fumes) and scurries along gathering my lost bungees and under the duress of a rather hurried London Bus driver I'm heading down the road one handed with a jumble of fuel and bungee cords to find somewhere to stop!. Finally found my destination about 10 am! An epic journey!

After couple nights in Walthamstow I take the cub down to Islington for a gig and leave it parked there in some nice back street then head to new cross where I ended up squatting for about 5 alcohol soaked indifferent days though I did remember to go and fetch me bike! A beautiful little journey in itself, finding myself, much to my suprise, riding over the famous Tower Bridge. Finally dragged myself away from the New Cross booze den and back home, this time employing a more boring route and totally uneventful journey, except for one point refueling in Chipping Norton about midnight and deranged looking man approaches me wielding a zippo lighter and a glazed expression. 'What the f*** are you doing!!' I screamed, then he asked me for a drop of petrol for his lighter. Look out for the man with the singed eyebrows in Chipping Norton. Really thought I was about to meet my maker at that point!
So Boudu pulled through, and I learned how to ride like a Londoner, over taking, under taking, filtering, honking the horn, riding the wrong way down Edgeware Road for 2 miles then twice round the Marble Arch roundabout aka Campsite twice in rush hour. Good times!!

passengerpidgin

Re: Boudu in the Big City

Post by passengerpidgin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:41 pm

Also worth noting 350+ miles. £12.50 petrol!

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:51 pm

That sounds very much like my journey home from Rhayader except that I did use the A44. And you're right about that A40 - M40 bit, absolutely no warning. Just a sign with services (no A40) and wham, you're on the motorway. Unlike you I am once again on L plates (http://c90club.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=533&start=0) so I'm not allowed on the motorway and like you I hate them as well.
As you would have noticed the A40 end of the motorway is identical to the motorway with all the mad, fast, inconsiderate drivers it includes.
Potholes in London? You mean you actually found some bits of road between holes? What about the speed humps?
Parking in Islington is a nightmare, you have to pay and display, have a CPZ permit (or visitors pass) or find a bike parking bay. Your bike must have been well locked up (or lucky) as it's rife with bike thieving lowlife around here.
And as for the roadsigns and confusing traffic signals, as I've said before I'd hate to be a tourist here.
It's a shame I didn't know you were heading my way, I could have given you a more direct route through N London probably.
Oh, and horn honking is a no no and I think you may have forgotten about all the CCTV and traffic cameras in London. Fingers crossed that you don't get a nasty letter through the post soon.

Saltysnax

Post by Saltysnax » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:29 am

What a great story, but how did you manage with the Cub headlight? My headlight is crap - 25 watts of badly aimed nothing. You must eat tons of carrots or have night vision goggles.

fatboytours
Rides:: C90T,C70 12v, C125, BMW 1200GSA, Triumph Thruxton R, Blood bike BMW R1250RT

Post by fatboytours » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 am

Buy one of Fuzzes upgraded bulbs makes a big difference

passengerpidgin

Post by passengerpidgin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:23 pm

I'm interested in the upgrade bulb, I think I will get one next time. However readers of my Cornish mafia tale will know that I once had to negotiate 30miles of dark by roads and scary dual carriageway with nothing but the Pilot light working! So in comparison I'm delighted and feel like a moving lighthouse! The Dip has stopped working, and I guess it's a wiring thing, cause the bulb is new. I like the dip I don't suppose passing drivers are too concerned about being dazzled by the mighty cub full beam, but it reminds them to dip for you! I was having to flip on to Pilot light to make up for it.

Re- London traffic, I'd be suprised if I got anything, I was a little worried about pulling up to look at me map in the wrong place, but reassured you can get away with that on a bike! Wrong way down edgeware, as in wrong direction!. Tooting the horn, ... at passing cubs of course! :)

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:42 pm

You'd probably get ignored by the other cub riders, there doesn't seem to be the comradery in London as there is elsewhere.
It's lonely here, even in a crowd. :(
(That's why I like this and the other site.) :D

crammy69
Rides:: 1984 C70C (Blue), LML 125cc STAR & Triumph Thruxton efi, li150 Special 1964

Post by crammy69 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Leiba wrote:You'd probably get ignored by the other cub riders, there doesn't seem to be the comradery in London as there is elsewhere.
It's lonely here, even in a crowd. :(
(That's why I like this and the other site.) :D
Ive also noticed that. When out in Kent over the past few weeks riding a motorbike (doing my DAS training ) EVERY biker I passed gave a nod of the helmet. But I find that when on a scooter (either the 'vespa' or the Cub) my nods are rarely returned, not a scooter thing perhaps?

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Great account of the trip PP :D and over some of the ground I used for the Rhayader run. I still find it a culture shock going from the slowest pace of life in the world to the fastest :lol:

You would have been welcome to drop by for a cuppa.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:15 am

Loved your story! Great time of the day to be out and about, have the whole world to yourself, love it! :D :D :D