Rhayader 2009 (AG's take).

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Rhayader 2009 (AG's take).

Post by aliengravy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:54 am

So.... I have been meaning to do this for a while.
On the weeks running up to Rhayader, it took allot of persuading from Newt to finally get me to agree to come, and even then i was unsure. So Tuesday it was finally set in stone we would be going! and we would be going on the cubs!! Out come the tents, small ones!, and all the miniature camping gear we have collected for motorbike touring and kayaking. Decided i'd get my head down early to crack on in the morning (plus I need my beauty sleep) and left Newt up playing with maps and deciding the route.
Up Wednesday morning, and out come the cubs ready to load up for our expected departure on the Thursday. Drag my 90 out the shed, all nice and shiny, first kick and away I go across the garden. Drag Newts bike out, cant get it going, he finally gets it going only to discover the rattle fairy has paid a visit! after deciding it would never make it, it was time for an engine change. no hiccups, nice easy swap and away he goes down the lane, only to get round the back of the block where it snaps its chain. Bye Bye engine casing! Bit of liquid metal, the old flywheel cover, and its running again! But we were no where near being ready to leave for the Thursday.
The drive Wednesday night.

Thursday morning we awoke to the sound of rain. Not the sound you want to be hearing when leaving for such a long journey! And we still had doubts in our mind abuot Newts liquid metal engine casing holding up for the journey! So it was soon decided we were best to go in the van. Quick adjustment of a few things on the van and we were set to go. One 90 on the back, and the 50 inside the van (90 wouldn't fit). By now it was decided we would leave in the morning (fri)
Up in the morning, phone the camp-site, no hard standing. Eventually found a space on the Gigrin Farm site up the road, and decided this was best with the rain we had forecast. So off we set. arrived at Gigrin farm late, piled onto the 90's to go to the other site to discover what was going on. The Irish lads had just arrived and were pitching their tents while telling us tales of flipping the trike coming off of the ferry, and explaining why the rust cub was so rusty with them not having MOT's in Ireland. Cubtony was around, but wanting to get down the pub to avoid the midges! Before he was eaten alive! At this point my stomach had other plans, and I needed food. Headed back to the van to get something to eat. After a late tea it was decided the best thing to do was for us to get our heads down ready for the bimble in the morning. "I'll set my alarm for 7:30" Newt say's, "OK I wont bother"........
"Newt, It's 9 O clock...."
"(insert very clever use of the French language)"
No breakfast, no tea, on the bikes and gone. Arrive at the other camp-site with more introductions, and many new faces to match with familiar names from the boards!!
Time for the bimble.....
It was decided that we would go down into Rhayader for petrol to make sure we all got to Aberystwyth, unfortunately with the vast amount of us wanting to fuel up not everyone was finished when the pack decided to leave, myself and Newt included. This meant that 8 of us were left in Rhayader trying to decide where the others had gone down at the cross roads. No clues. So instead of getting upset about it it was decided we would make our own way to Aberystwyth via the dams. With only 8 of us being in a group (and Newt on his 50) it meant that the pace was reasonably slow, which was lovely as we got plenty of time to enjoy the breathtaking scenery. The dams really were an amazing thing, and I would love to return when we have more rain to see them over pouring. By now it was starting to rain, this wasn't a problem as everyone had planned ahead and was already in their wet gear. On to Aberystwyth we went.
In Aberystwyth there wasn't any sign of the others. Eventually we managed to contact them and discovered that they would be 45 minutes. This allowed Newt the time for his swim he was determined he was going to have before he left. Its not often you see a middle aged man running down the beach in his Y-fronts like a 5 year old!!! I had a breakfast baguette to hide the embarrassment behind!
Eventually the others arrived. It was brilliant watching and hearing that vast amount of Honda cubs come down the high street. We were told 7 were still to come as one of the Irish lads had got a puncture, and managed to use two new tubes fixing it ;) Not long and they were with us. Few more pictures then it was off to another coastal town.
Eventually we arrived in Bow, and by now it was pouring. A few quick snaps were taken here before it was back on the cubs and down to Aberystwyth to get more fuel for the return journey. I will never be able to put into words what it was like to see 33 cubs riding through a main town at rush hour. All I can say was that it was amazing!
The return journey was similar to the way we had first gone going to Aberystwyth with a few minor changes. It rained the whole way back, and with the weather not being the best, it was a spirited run home. Newt was on the 50 and kept lagging behind so it was decided that you where responsible for the person behind you in ensuring they knew where to go at each turning. This worked great unless you were last! eventually we all formed back into a group midway and allowed time for the 50 to cool down as it was now minutes from melting as water hissed off every part of the engine. With the 50 cool we pressed on. The second half was uneventful other than the trike deciding it didn't want to go past the 50 and slowing down to the same speed while overtaking and then giving up. Something along the lines of Paper filter+water+petrol+carb = BIG NO NO. Float bowl was drained, and off it went again.
Now it must be mentioned that when the trike was flipped the rear brake was broken. So when the trike came roaring down the field only to plow into two bikes causing a domino effect between them, and eventually landing on a tent, it brought much amusement to all the wet faces stood under the awnings. Apart from H the dog, Who's bike was involved. ;)
Wet gear off, and time for beer :) Conversations where ablaze everywhere under the awnings as everybody met everybody and conversation began. I must say it was amazing talking to everybody. Everybody was really friendly and coming from all walks of life, and all parts of the country, all had amazing story's to tell. Then it was time to get down the pub for more drinking and conversation, as well as a kebab for dinner ;)
After Newt showing me how well he could see in the dark and falling down a flight of stone steps taking a chunk out of his knee, it was decided it was time for bed.
Not much occurred on the Sunday. Some people got up early and left, and some of us stayed. Off for a walk around the vintage show in town and then back to play with my power kite (some wind would have been good!), while newt tinkered with his bike, which eventually turned into some sort of C50 operating theatre ("screwdriver" "spanner" "scalpel") as everybody chipped in and helped him get it sorted :) I had a quick ride out with newt to explore the other end of the valley and have a ride around the hills. After being attacked by two farm yard collies from different farms, and with the sun setting it was decided it was time to head back. The midges were out in force again, so it was decided that we would have to take shelter in the pub. More beer was consumed, as well as many more memories and story's. Eventually the pub emptied and people went to bed. Boo came into the van to share more stories and drink more beer as like us he wasn't quite ready to hit the sack. Eventually tiredness got the better of us, as we were never going to run out of tales, and we had to hit the sack.
In the morning it was just a case of packing up and everybody left heading for home. People all departed at different times, and eventually just two lonely camper vans were stood in the field and then it was our time to leave. Farewell Rhayader..... see you next year!

So here I am, sat here now, at 3.41 AM still smiling at such an amazing weekend. Organised by amazing people. In amazing countryside.
I really do wish I had taken more photographs, but with so much to photograph it seemed like a chore to get the camera out! Still they will be memories i will never forget!

Again, thank you Fuzz and Prof!!

Eagerly awaiting next year.... Where i hope it will be even better :)

ADY
Rides:: Honda Cub90 lots of 'em & kawasaki GT550

Re: Rhayader 2009 (AG's take).

Post by ADY » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:35 am

Great write up AG, I really enjoyed this with my first cuppa in the office this morning. I'm sorry I had to give it a miss this time, but there was so much "stuff" going on. Next time......... :)

So did you move your van from the first site, over to Wyeside at some point? or did you commute between them?

Ady

aliengravy
Site Admin

Post by aliengravy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:34 am

Typical i left that bit out isn't it! Yes we moved site after the run as we decided there had not been as much rain as we thought there would be, and we decided the ground would be ok! :)

CeeGee
Rides:: BMW R80 Airhead, 1987 HondaC90, 1981 Suzuki GSX1100 & Occasional Sheep

Post by CeeGee » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:23 pm

And we all made use of the awning when it was pissing it down! :lol:

Cheers to you and Newt for the sausage and bacon baps! (And the stickers!)

aliengravy
Site Admin

Post by aliengravy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Only caught a glimpse of the ones on the back as you left, and Newt didn't really see them!! You'll have to whack some quick pics up for us :)

Saltysnax

Post by Saltysnax » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:57 pm

It really was a splendid weekend, glad you made it and see you next year if not before. Ride safe and have fun.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Sorry didn't take as much photo's and vid as I came equipped for, Here's my meagre offerings, I might have some stills to follow.
Cheers, Newt

ADY
Rides:: Honda Cub90 lots of 'em & kawasaki GT550

Post by ADY » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:20 am

Watching all the videos helps to get a measure of the great atmosphere that is....a gathering of Cubs & their riders en mass.

Cheers
Ady

SirDiesel
Rides:: Specialized Rockhopper. Was a c90 but that fell prey to tin worm

Post by SirDiesel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:47 am

shame i had to miss this year, i was going to come but had no bike.

Who's the dude with a fuel can between his legs and another on the front mudguard? nice idea that mudguard tank, might have to steal that one :D