London To Ludlow

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

London To Ludlow

Post by Pjam » Tue May 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Ok it's no big deal, 155 miles, a lot of you guys do this every weekend! But for someone who doesn't get out of London much it got my pulse racing.
I've posted this cus I wanted to make one or two points and observations, mostly on things many of you have discussed here before.
My Route; M40/A40 to Oxford, then A44 through the Cotswolds to Worcester and A443 to Tenbury Wells and finally the A49 to Ludlow. (were now only 40 miles from Rhayader)

For the first 50 mile stretch on the motorway I put to good use advice I'd read here, namely 'making that lane your own' and 'avoid becoming gutter trash', it worked perfectly :D I had no problems at all, I was pleased to see how much respect I was given, particularly by lorry drivers who I tailgated at every opportunity. ;)
Next the Cotswold stretch, the A44 was a joy to ride, beautiful towns and villages like Chipping Norton and Morton-In-Marsh, the road was quiet and I could have easily spent a week on this stretch alone. I did notice however car drivers will give you much less room, the 'lanes' on the motorway were more closely observed!
Finally the last drag over the twisty roads to Tenbury and Ludlow where the scent in the air was of the apple orchards and bugs splatting on my visor were as big as ripe plums!

I managed 60-65 mph easily on the motorway and more at a push :shock: also 4.2 litres to cover 155 miles = 168 miles to the gallon. :o :o :o Yes......... it was my Innova ...... sorry to disappoint!

Ludlow Castle and the town beyond.

Day trip to Much Wenlock.

And some believe the site of the first modern Olympics!
Loved it. :D :D :D

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Re: London To Ludlow

Post by aliengravy » Tue May 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Cracking ride Pjam!! Glad you had fun! And you sure did get the weather for it :) :D :D :D :D

Blackcountry Pete
Rides:: The clown bike, Burgman400,SH300,STD 50 Cubra

Post by Blackcountry Pete » Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Next time your up this way pjam give us a shout us midlands boys are only about 35 mins from Wenlock and its a cracking ride out we were round that way last summer.

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Tue May 25, 2010 9:16 pm

OK BP I will :D

There's great biking roads around that way, dozens were zipping past me :lol: Every few miles (on the Wenlock Rd) there's yellow and black motorbike signs stating 'RIDE CAREFULLY' and 'BIKES BEWARE'.

You know Peter I was born in Kidderminster! :D