VJMC Meet

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
tom robinson
Rides:: Suzukii Address i 2010,Honda 300i 2007

VJMC Meet

Post by tom robinson » Mon May 17, 2010 9:34 am

Hi Guys,
i went to the VJMC meet at salmsbury yesterday morning,i arrived early and had a good look at the bikes,they were great but i always have a sad feeling at these shows,bikes are made to be USED,to me its almost like keeping a wild animal in a cage!
I had said i would meet Boo and Geoff from Preston there but decided to have a quick visit to a friend who lives in Blackburn and then come back to the show in the afternoon,i didnt make it!
My bike fell over when i was stuffing the top box with kit,it went over with a bang and bust the front brake lever,blast!
I set of to go back to the show and only went 100 yds and the bike started to cough and splutter,i noticed petrol running out of the carb,i turned the fuel tap of and investigate,in the end i came to the conclusion that when the bike fell over the jolt jammed the float at the top(open) and didnt drop back down when the bike was righted,thats my theory anyhow.
As i was over 50 miles from home i decided to go straight home as the bike seemed to be running ok but i didnt want to be marooned.
After about 20 miles on my way home i noticed a sign for an auto jumble sale and decided to pop in to see if i could find a brake lever,yes i found an exact copy it even had a black knob on the end(£2) i also bought a cub front mudguard in red and the section mudgaurd in blue(£1 each).
After fitting my new brake lever and strapping my expensive purchases onto my bike i hit the road again and had a pleasant ride home,by now i had confidence in my bike again as it was running well.
My first part of my bimble was 50 miles,i had a 2ltr fuel container and it wouldnt quite take it all,it had taken me 1.5 hours,i THINK this works out at or near enough to 120 mpg and average speed 32 mph,this includes going through 2 cities (Preston and Lancaster) loads of traffic lights, so i dont think it was to bad for an old un.
Back to the grindstone now my campervan is nearly due its mot so today i am removing the rear wheels and brake drums for a clean up and examination,readjust brakes and wheels back on,well thats the plan ,he he nearly all my plans dont work out,i will probably find a leaking brake cylinder and seized adjusters,rusty brake pipes etc etc ha ha
cheers guys,cary on cubbing,and jehovering
yours tom robinson

Boo
Rides:: Elephant Grey 1967 CM90 based 'bitsa'.

Re: VJMC Meet

Post by Boo » Mon May 17, 2010 10:26 am

Sorry we missed you Tom. Glad you got home OK, and bargains on the way! I agree about the trailered bikes at these shows.. a real shame. Some rode out of the show - to trailers parked 100 yards down the road :lol: !!
A fair number of the shiny bikes were ridden there though... probably don't do massive mileages but at least they're used.
I got loads of pics, which I'll upload soon.

tom robinson
Rides:: Suzukii Address i 2010,Honda 300i 2007

Post by tom robinson » Mon May 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Boo,
sorry i missed you at the show,i am looking forward to you pics.
I have a mate who has quite a few "Show" bikes and he spends a fortune on them,he just sent the saddle of his harly d. to have the leather work carved and new chrome springs,£500 he said he thought it was a bargain!
I think i do as many miles on the cub as he does on all his bikes.
I hope to see you soon at some bimble or other
cheers tom robinson

shayshondacub90
Rides:: 1998 honda cub 90

Post by shayshondacub90 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:54 pm

i went to a run a few months back on my cub 90 as it was only 40 miles away( 1 hour 20 mins) everyone i spoke to thought i was insane!!!!!!
:roll:

Boo

Post by Boo » Wed May 19, 2010 8:47 pm

It's funny how people see the Cub as a local-only bike. I've just been on a casual bimble around the Yorkshire dales with CubStig and Wigan Bob today.. 169 miles clocked up (furthest point from home about 70 miles away) and not a thought of it being far! :lol:

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Post by aliengravy » Wed May 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Me Newt and Mav will quite happily go out and bimble 100 mile or more on a sat or Sunday!

They start of sedate, and then normally i'm the first one on the drive at home sat on the bench waiting for them two, Newt will pull in next and pull his helmet off laughing, followed by Mav ragging it down the lane. We will all look at each other and its guaranteed that we say "Its a good job we haven't got big bikes :P"

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Post by Newtsalad » Thu May 20, 2010 10:30 am

aliengravy wrote: Newt will pull in next and pull his helmet off laughing, followed by Mav.....
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boo

Post by Boo » Sat May 22, 2010 9:02 am

Pics of the VJMC show now up...
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1715