Popeye goes to Europe

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Popeye
Rides:: Honda supercub 90. BMW R100cs/Monaco, MZ ETZ250

Popeye goes to Europe

Post by Popeye » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:35 pm

The Story of Popeye goes to Europe will start soon.

It covers shipping the bike from Japan to England, traveling through Norway, Sweden, Germany, France, England Ireland and Scotland. Three people take part and enjoy almost 5 months of sleeping under canvas.

Newtsalad
Admin & site janitor.
Rides:: XL1200c, Cali III, C125,GS750,XV535,XL350,BN125,C90's,C200's,CT200,Little Cub's

Re: Popeye goes to Europe

Post by Newtsalad » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm subscribed!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

aliengravy
Site Admin
Rides:: Shiny 1987 Honda C90c in red! Cbf600n

Post by aliengravy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 am

:) Honestly cant wait :D :D :D!!!

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 am

POPEYE goes to EUROPE.

Myself, my wife and a co-worker of my wife who is also a student of mine decided to embark on a trip to Europe on an extended holiday. Days off are no problem for me but the girls initially had to quit their jobs to obtain a reasonable amount of free time. Holidays of duration longer than 7 days at a time are rare in Japan so to quit was the only apparent solution. However, their employer suggested that if they are only absent from their post for 3 months that their jobs would be available on their return to Japan.
So the plan was that I would go earlier to Europe and make sure that all the paperwork formalities regarding temporary import of the bike were sorted and that we could start the trip immediately the girls flew into Heathrow.

PAPERWORK. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am

The paperwork was,

Well words fail me. It was a farce from start to finish. Firstly I tried several shipping companies that all give rough quotes as to how much but none seem to like the idea of shipping the bike and sidecar anywhere. One told me I had to drain the tank, (standard procedure) but also the engine oil. I challenged them and the relented and said OK it is not a requirement. Another wanted the bike to go from a company address and also deliver it to a company address in the UK. Another said that they would collect at my home but would not let me collect at a port in the UK but a port in Europe may be OK. All this searching for an ideal company took time, lots of it. I started preparing for this trip almost two years in front and it was uphill all the way. One of the biggest hurdles was the language.

Finally I found a company in London that would arrange everything and collect the outfit at my home and I could collect it from just outside Heathrow. All I had to do was to make sure that the crates complied with Japanese and UK requirements regarding Bug free wood.

The Stamp.

I got the crates (3) from my local BMW dealer. These are stamped with the necessary stamp that is recognized in both countries. No problem I thought. Because I lined the outside of the crates with plywood which is exempt from the stamp, the port at Nagoya where my bike would be shipped from contacted the company in the UK and said that my crates would have to be repacked again in Japan using new crates. ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ or ££££££££ which ever you prefer. London contacted me and I told them which crates, shown them photo's of the stamps and in turn, they emailed Japan and said send them as they are. No problem.

The packing lists I had to make out seemed quite straight forward enough. Ha, wrong again. I received emails asking me, "What's a tommy bar?" "What's the soles of your boots made of?" Really stupid questions.

All this I jest you not but the biggest hurdle was the Carnet. If you are visiting Japan from another country you need one. I did not (after much researching) need one for Europe. I could have got one easily but traveling in Europe no-one would sign it anyway so there is no point. The equivalent of the RAC in Japan told me by letter I didn't need one but trying to convince the port authorities was a different matter. Finally they said OK. But on returning to Japan it was obviously different customs people that I had to deal with and the first thing they asked me for was my Carnet.

BUT I DON'T NEED ONE. I LIVE HERE. AAAAAARH.

Bike preparation. I had to use 3 crates. The sidecar was a little to wide so I had cobble two together.

Just some of the things I put in the sidecar.

The Off. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Baron_von_ping
Rides:: Nowt unless you include a ball of scrap!

Post by Baron_von_ping » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:50 pm

Talk about a mess around!
The paper work would of swamped me! Top respect to you for sticking at it and i'm so green with envy it's unbelieveable :mrgreen:
Hope it all goes well for you though.

Leiba
Rides:: Red C90.

Post by Leiba » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:28 pm

Subscribed.

ianofbhills
Rides:: down to just 1 bike. Times are hard.

Post by ianofbhills » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:59 pm

Look forward to reading the rest.

Can i ask what you do? I'm pretty envious of your lifestyle and the ability to take months away and go touring.

Pjam
SPAMMER!
Rides:: C90, C70c, CB500, ANF125, A100 Bitsa

Post by Pjam » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:32 pm

How did the song go? 'I'm Popeye the sailor man' ?

Popeye

Post by Popeye » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:28 pm

By Uk standards I'm retired. By Japanese standards I'm still a young chicken so I help people with their English skills. Not that I have any but it suffices in Japan. Most just want conversational English for travel. As for Popeye, Ah yes Popeye, Popeye is the sidecar outfit. I'm just using it's name. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Time off from work should not present a problem for most people. Many just need a shove to chase the dream that they have always had. In the 70s I took 3 month off and a workmate said to me, "I don't know how you do it. I can't do that" He was single and no mortgage, absolutely nothing to hold him back.
My advice is go for it. Life is to short just to think about it!!!!!