100 miles of pure enjoyment.

Discuss general riding stories and adventures here.
Geoff from Preston
Rides:: Honda SH125 (ABS)

Post by Geoff from Preston » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 pm

The forecast was for mist at first, clearing to sun later so I decided to go for a ride on my Honda to Stainforth Force a waterfall near Settle in the Yorkshire Dales.
I went on the M65, there was mist in the valleys, I left at Junction 10 & as I went through Barrowford the sun came out.
I prefer the quiet roads without many cars because my philosophy is “where there is no traffic you’re not going to knocked off yer bike”. So I stopped & set the Tomtom on “limited speed 30mph route” to “Gargrave”. I feel a bit ashamed to admit this but sometimes when I’m out for a ride following the sat nav I just don’t know where I am, but this makes the ride more interesting. The route took me up into the hills on the back roads, the views were splendid; the mist in the valleys highlighted the beauty of the hills in the distance.
I passed a pub called the Anchor Inn & pulled in at a car park next to the Leeds Liverpool canal, a very nice spot. I spoke to a young couple who looked as though they were on holiday & had been sleeping the night in the back of their estate car. They didn’t know where they were either, I suppose they weren’t bothered, when I was their age I used to do exactly the same myself.
I found that I was at a place called Salterforth. I went on for a few miles, crossed the A59 at West Marton & found myself in Gargrave. Places like this are little gems, set in delightful countryside. After a few photos I set the sat nav for Grassington & then Halton Gill. Grassington is always worth a visit. I rode the bike into the centre, bought a “Yorkshire pasty” from the pie shop in the square & ate it sitting in the sunshine outside. Then I rode around Malam & visited one of my favourite places “Katy’s Cuppas Honesty Box help yourself tea room” at Halton Gill. I visit Katy’s quite often, I had Coffee & Cake, put the money in the box then sat in the porch watched by a dog with it head though the cat flap in the door.
The Scenery was breathtaking as I rode on to Stainforth. I parked the bike & walked down to the Waterfall (Foss or Force as it is described on the map) a local beauty spot. On the way back I met an old couple whose car had a flat tyre so as my good deed for the day I changed it for them. It didn’t take long but time was getting short so I headed for home.
T’was a fine day out, in fact it was 100 miles of pure enjoyment. :D

[url=https://postimg.cc/image/rpe5bkaut/]Image[/url
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raybarber
Rides:: Honda SH300

Re: 100 miles of pure enjoyment.

Post by raybarber » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 pm

A good trick with your satnav is to set it for home and then every time it gives directions, go the opposite way. We stayed at a B&B just outside of Grassington a couple of years back. It was just after the Tour de France had been through Yorkshire and everyone was still on a "high".

Geoff from Preston

Post by Geoff from Preston » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:07 am

Good idea Ray.
I like to start off from home & just head for the blue sky it’s surprising where it get you.
:D :D :D

horobags
Rides:: PCX 125, Vision 110

Post by horobags » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:41 am

great pics Geoff. 8-)

bikerbaker
Rides:: 1990 C90, 2016 Kayak 110, Riders Cub, 2xSV650, BMW F800GT, Buell XB12R CT90/110

Post by bikerbaker » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 am

Excellent! Great pics reminding me that I must get out more and also buy a new camera.

Also reminded me of feller I worked with in the 70's. He had been a Barnardos Boy and was given the surname of Gargrave as that was where he was found as a baby. Notable for belting out Gilbert & Sullivan songs in the corridor outside our office. PITA. :lol:

richie the 1st
Rides:: Honda sh 125i/Peouget tweet 125.suzuki address silver/blue

Post by richie the 1st » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Great photo,s ,and the one for me is the narrow road/bridge,over thing.

Geoff from Preston

Post by Geoff from Preston » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks Richie, have you been out on the Vision recently? :D

redcap0006
Rides:: CUBs Red&Blue 1997 & 1996. Triumph Trophy

Post by redcap0006 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Nice Honda

knapdog
Rides:: '96 C90, '83 C90C, '98 Honda Valkyrie

Post by knapdog » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:05 am

Thank you for sharing your great little trip. Envious. Lovely part of the world.

richie the 1st
Rides:: Honda sh 125i/Peouget tweet 125.suzuki address silver/blue

Post by richie the 1st » Thu May 03, 2018 11:37 am

Geoff from Preston wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 pm
Thanks Richie, have you been out on the Vision recently? :D
Not quiet Geoff,did ride it last month ,to the dealer who gave me a better deal then Doblies,so it went it p/x for a .????????
So can any one guess.??
3 clues
1} its not a Honda vision 110,
2} its a/c single,
3} its got 16" front and back,and its white.